Author Topic: Peep sight experiment.  (Read 5247 times)

Offline EC121

Peep sight experiment.
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »
To keep from hijacking Stoner's thread I'll post here.  I tried the peep sight too far up the barrel and it didn't work.  So I filed it to a regular sight yesterday.  I'm going to order another and glue it on the tang to see how it works.  Should work fine.  If it works, I'll dovetail it into the tang.  This is a rifle I finished last weekend.
   I ran into a cheap barrel and wood.  So I built a rifle.  It will be my test bed. .40cal with a Dale Johnson lock that I polished inside and out and a new/old Montana or Orion barrel.  Like he said new guns are fun.   This is a practice edit.  New pictures.  I changed over to imgur because Tinypic isn't working for me, and also got a new Serif photo editing program.  Also took some better pics of the rifle.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:31:05 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Peep sight experiment.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
Nice rifle. Now more about "it didn't work". What was the goal that was not achieved?  How close did it come to goal?  I would t expect a peep located where an open sight is to clear up sight picture. Maybe make getting sight pic and on target quicker.

Also more about the rifle caliber, length and width of barrel etc.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:46:00 PM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »
Because of increased depth of field when using small apertures, I thought it would give me a clearer picture of the front sight, but by having the back sight so far up the barrel all I got was a small hole that made it hard to see the front sight and the target.  I tried it in the shop with a magnet and figured it wouldn't work but did it anyway.  I was hoping once I got it out in the natural light I could see better.  Not a big deal the sight is easily filed to normal.  The sight is 14in. up the barrel. So after I filed the sight down to a square notch, I got a good picture of both sights.  My next idea is to file the base of another sight narrow enough to cut a dovetail in the breechplug lug part of the tang with room to move it for windage.  I'll try that with glue and shoot it some before cutting the dovetail.  Shouldn't take more than 5-10 shots to test it.
   The barrel is a 13/16" x 41"(went with 41" to save a little muzzle weight) in the white.   .40cal.  LOP is 13.5   Trigger pull is a clean 3-4lbs.  The lock is a Dale Johnson with a rounded pan.  Furniture is cold blue steel-wooled back to gray.  I got tired of browned rifles so I left the BP and barrel white to age naturally.  Actually I had already installed the barrel and was too lazy to take it back out to blue and wool  it.  The natural aging part makes a good excuse.  ;D  Maybe I'll do it later.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:40:17 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:06:14 AM »
Sounds like a plan.  I really like the .40.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:36:39 PM »
I haven't tried the peep sight on the tang yet.  Probably won't.  I filed the peep off and made a square notch out of it. 
After more shooting with the sight that far up the barrel, it does fine.   It shoots well enough that I'll leave well enough alone.
Brice Stultz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
On anothe rsite, one 'smith' suggested to attach experimental TRY-SIGHTS with black locktite. He noted when the trial is over, one can merely knock them off with a tap of a hammer. This was for testing DR regulation, however should work on a single barrel just fine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »
Jerry Cunningham of Orion Rifle Barrel Co. made some very good barrels and I still have some of them. They shoot just as good if not better that some that are made by barrel makers today ;) Your rifle looks very nice and should be a fine shooter once you "dial it in" ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »
When you do your experiment with peep sight, you might want to try them out at the time of day when the light is not so bright as early morn.-late afternoon. Just got back from bear hunting in the thick woods of northern Manitoba and sight picture changes alot when your in the thick brush. Less available light might make it tough to see through a peep at the end of day, time when alot of game is moving.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 01:01:49 AM »
I tried one of the "cheater" sights that TOW sells; the type with an aperture where the notch would ordinarily be. It worked very well to sharpen the sight picture, but mine was not as far down the barrel as yours. Maybe you need either a larger aperture or mount it closer.

Incidentally, although it worked well I replaced it because I didn't like the looks of it.