Author Topic: William G. Shreckengost fullstock  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
William G. Shreckengost fullstock
« on: May 22, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
From 1840 census thru the 1890 census of Mahoning Twp, Armstrong County PA William G. Shreckengost
was listed as gunsmith.  This example has a lock from Whitmore, Wolf, Duff & Co., Pittsburgh PA.
They were a hardware dealer and he used their locks frequently.  The patent breech on his rifles may be
his own creation as each one is different yet similar.  This 41+" barreled 32 caliber example bears his full
script deeply engraved signature W. Shreckengost on the barrel.  The stock has great curl from end to end.  An unusual
wrist repair is shaped like a Y coming down over the wrist and is integral with the tang.  This rifle would date from the 1870s.  Other than
the barrel which bears his signature and fleur de lis work, there is no engraving :'(  

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:46:44 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: William G. Shreckengost fullstock
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »
The drop on the butt stock is amazing............
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:11:30 PM »
The architecture is designed to put the rifle butt on your arm above your bicep.  This brings the center of gravity of the rifle more
toward the body of the shooter and helps steady the rifle.  That 3 or 4 inch difference in positioning makes a surprising
difference in how steady you can hold it.  The drop is greater because the position of the butt on your body is lower above
your bicep than on your shoulder.  Shreckengost was known as the best shot around in his day.  Since the caliber is small
you don't have issues with recoil.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 04:28:06 AM »
Thanks
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Macmcleod

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 03:20:39 AM »
Glad you like the rifle.  Matt and I are surely glad a family member has it now.   I found it at a small gun show in Anderson, SC and purchased it the next day after the lady who owned it accepted my offer.   This is a very nice rifle.

Mac
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:58:14 PM by Macmcleod »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 04:35:24 AM »
Thanks for letting me bring her back home Mac.  The locals will love to get a look at her.  I'd love to hear the story of the family that passed her down if you can recall the lady's name.

Macmcleod

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
You bet and we are glad it is back with the family where it should be.   I think I can find her contact information through my canceled check.   Let me dig through stuff and get back to you.  As I remember, she purchased the rifle for her husband as a gift but I might have missed something.   Take care and we really enjoyed the rifle as it is a fine example of the art and craftsmanship that makes these so good to study and collect.   The wrist repair is amazing and unique.

Mac...