Author Topic: A Lot of Shootin' Tomorrow  (Read 3885 times)

Old Bob

A Lot of Shootin' Tomorrow
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
I reckon if all goes well tomorrow, I'll have the wife, daughter and daughter's boyfriend out to our club's range to do a bit of shooting. We've kind of made a Memorial Day weekend thing of it. I just finished a little .40 cal. half stock for my wife and she needs to get it sighted in to suit herself. I'll take along my .40 longrifle, my Charleville and my Richmond R-M. My daughter's boyfriend saw me shooting my chunk gun at a shoot recently and has a hankering to shoot one of those, so I guess I'll have to take Ol' Myrt along too. And most importantly, I'm taking the grill and some food.

Offline alyce-james

Re: A Lot of Shootin' Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:56:42 PM »
Afternoon Sir; Post pictures of your family Saturday, outing. Thanks, AJ
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:57:27 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:23 PM »
Have a good time and maybe get a new shooter into the fold.   ;)

Old Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 08:16:50 AM »
I reckon I can call it a success. It had been a year since the others had done any shooting, but they did pretty good, especially my daughter. She pretty much cut center on several shots outshooting everyone myself included. After refreshing them on loading procedures and safety, I turned them loose. My daughter and her boyfriend used my old longrifle and my wife tried out the gun I built for her last birthday. She had a little trouble getting a tight group and finding the X, but considering it had been a while since she'd shot and the rifle was unfamiliar, she did well. JB did fair, but Hannah, once she got used to the rifle, started layin' em in there. I didn't take the Charleville, but took my chunk gun for JB to try out. He wore himself out with the longrifle and decided not to heave that beast around. Hey, one less gun to clean. I took the Richmond and shot a few rounds. Most of the Minies I took hadn't been weighed and I never got any consistent groups, though I got a few decent shots. I hit some gongs out at 80 to 100 yards. I took our grill along and we took a hotdog break. Spent over 5 hours banging away and had a great time. I took a few pictures and if I don't forget I'll download the camera tomorrow and see if I got some good pictures and put them on here.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:21 PM »
Sounds like you guys smoked up the holler pretty good. I need to get my group out like that one day. You got wife's done, what you workin on now?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Old Bob

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
I'm trying to build her a pie safe for our anniversary. Twill be a test of my mortise and ten on abilities, which at this writing are virtually nonexistent. The only other thing I've been doing is that I've hogged out four cherry stock blanks. I'm keeping one for myself. I'll bring the others to the range next shoot. I still have that old Getz swamped .45 but I don't know if I want to use some of that cherry or hold out for a piece of maple.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:53:50 AM by Old Bob »

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:48:46 AM »
I just finished drilling rammer hole on the forty eight inch .45 cal. rifle I'm working on. Had to fix my drill bit longer. Seems like I get less and less time in the shop these days.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Old Bob

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:31 AM »
I had enough time today to lay out the mortises for the rails on the sides of the cabinet. I had to redo all of the ones on the first post. They're offset and I put them toward the inside instead of the outside. I got it fixed. I need to bolt my small drillpress to the table and start drilling tomorrow. Get them cleaned out with chisel and start cutting stock for the rails and cutting tenons. I'll have to make a jig for my router so I can cut grooves for the panels. That's going to be fun.

I'd really like to get that Getz barrel mounted into something. I believe it'll be a shooter. But first I'll have to get some parts for that other Manton lock. I used the one from my .32 to finish my wife's .40. It's got a wedge brazed to the bolster because my barrel is straight. Her's is tapered. That little Large barrel is a shooter. I got one of his good ones.