Author Topic: Grandkids shooting a Bess  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Stormrider51

Grandkids shooting a Bess
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:21:52 PM »
My son and his family were out yesterday for BBQ and a day of fun.  This includes  four grandkids.  Given the storm that hit Saturday I wasn't sure we could manage it but instead we had a great weather.  Things started with traditional archery until everybody's arm was tired.  Then we moved on to a mini-foraging class where we took them around and helped them identify and sample edible wild plants.  Then they wanted to shoot the pellet rifle so we set up soda cans at 25 yards and let them try to knock them over.  Eventually the younger kids who weren't hitting as often began to get frustrated and lose interest.  I had an idea.  I went inside and got Brown Bess.  I loaded her with 40 grains FFFg and an ounce and a half of #6 shot.  It was a game changer.  Suddenly it wasn't a case of who hit a can but how many cans could they knock over.  Everybody was hitting and the fun was back.  Bess did her part with near instant ignition shot after shot.  The kids have fired my flintlock rifle in the past but this was a different experience.  Before they left, my grand daughter told me that next time she wants to shoot my Dutch club butt.  It was a great day.  BTW, I have no idea who that grey headed, pot-bellied guy is.  Never saw him before.

SR51

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:40:45 AM by Stormrider51 »

MDHazelden

Re: Grandkids shooting a Bess
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 12:01:24 AM »
That is SO great to see!  You made some good memories.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:43 AM »
Thanks for posting this fun story, made my day to see those youngs ones mastering the venerable Brown Bess. You done good.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:14:50 AM »
 BTW, I have no idea who that grey headed, pot-bellied guy is.  Never saw him before.

Doncha know, there is always someone who wants to get into the picture.
What do they call that, a photo bomb??
You'd think you would be safe in your own back yard, but noooooooooo, it happens everywhere. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
I notice one of your grandkids is shooting left handed. I had my flinter out yesterday with some friends. One of the grandkids shot left handed. He was very eager to pull the trigger, and he hit his target. I noticed he had his arm stretched out almost straight and I didn't want to nit-pick, but it didn't register that it was his RIGHT arm. I could tell he was in a little pain after he pulled the trigger. What appeared to be just little black specks quickly turned to oozing blood. The flash from the pan had burned him right in the crease of his elbow. OUCH!
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
I notice one of your grandkids is shooting left handed. I had my flinter out yesterday with some friends. One of the grandkids shot left handed. He was very eager to pull the trigger, and he hit his target. I noticed he had his arm stretched out almost straight and I didn't want to nit-pick, but it didn't register that it was his RIGHT arm. I could tell he was in a little pain after he pulled the trigger. What appeared to be just little black specks quickly turned to oozing blood. The flash from the pan had burned him right in the crease of his elbow. OUCH!

Really sorry to hear about the burn.  Actually both of the younger kids, twins, are shooting lefty.  So do I.  I warned them both to keep their right arm out of the way.  Notice that the girl tucked her hand under the butt like I told her to.  Her brother chose to keep the his low and escaped uninjured as well.  Had the gun been a percussion without a flash cup his right arm would have been peppered with cap debris.  No need to ask me how I learned that.

SR51