Author Topic: Stoffel Long - Long rifle  (Read 12761 times)

Dakota60

Stoffel Long - Long rifle
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:16:58 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has information on the Stoffel Long Rifle crafted by Christoffel Long (back in the 1800's) of Albany Township, Berks County or on Christoffel himself.  I am his great, great, great, great granddaughter and have just found out within the past year that he was a gunsmith.  I am also the family historian and an avid scrapbooker.  I have been to Albany Township and have done some research on him which is how I found out he was a gunsmith.  I have even had the opportunity to hold one of his rifles in my hands.  I am hoping to someday purchase a Stoffel Long rifle so that I can at least have one of them back in the hands of the family.  At the moment I cannot afford to do this.  I am wondering if anyone knows how many were crafted.  I know of about four of them and of one that was signed and recently sold at a gun show I attended.  It is that rifle that I was able to hold as the seller still had it on him until the end of the show.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:28:01 AM by Dakota60 »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Stoffel Long - Long rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I think he was a prolific maker and there should be a fair number of rifles out there.  The folks on this
forum would love to hear what you know about him?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
There are pictures of two of his rifles in the book  "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850" by James R. Johnston. 

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »
Checkout revwararms.com there is one pictured there. I haven't seen many of them but they are around.
Buck
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:53:07 AM by Buck »

Barngunguy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
Last year at dixons fair there was one in the display case.
I thought it was really good shape also.
very nice rifle he made there.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
There is at least eight that I know of. I owned one several years ago but sold it to work into something else.
JIM

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:45:35 AM »
JDM is right on the money and in fact I would push that number out to about 12-14 at least because I've held them in my hands.  I'm a HUGE fan of the work that guy was doing, very American and very folk-art.  At least half that I've seen personally were dead plain but were indeed signed, and then there are a few that have been well photographed over the years and are more elaborate/well-decorated.  I believe there are probably @ another 5 to 10 that are the same guy but are not signed. I believe very strongly that Stoffel Long had some form of association with Jacob George Jr., the Jacob George whose work also has survived via quite a few examples (published) and a number of which very closely resemble the work of Long.  My suspicion is that Jacob George Sr, who was a gunsmith and general smith (proven by period records) trained them both - I believe Long and George Jr. were approximately contemporaries but I have not had the time to dig into this much further.

Dakota60 I would in turn be extremely interested in any genealogical information which you may have turned up regarding Stoffel Long, i.e birth and death dates, tax records, census etc. as all of this information is very helpful when trying to map out where and when and with whom a particular smith may have worked.  Please post here any verifiable information which you may have uncovered as I promise you it will be very well-received!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:59:30 AM »
I can see the connection between Stoffel Long and Jacob George Jr. They both had that folk arty and primitive look to them. Plus  there engraving was deep and wide. It looked like they used a nail.
It would be interesting to learn more about there back grounds. I like to see how they all connect.
JIM

Dakota60

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
I am in the process of finding more on my ancestor.  I do have a lot on his children and grandchildren at this point but am still looking for more.  I even have photos of his grandchildren but none of him or his sons.  I would really like to know more about his parents as to who they were and where were they born.  I will wait to post until I know that I have it all  and it is correct.  Once I know I have all my facts straight I am more than happy to share information.  This past Saturday I was at Dixon's Gun Maker Fair and was told a Stoffel Long rifle had sold but I didn't get to see it.  I did however, get to see another one which I may purchase.  It is nice to know that something of my ancestors is so desired for it's craftsmanship.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »
 At about 2 min into this video you will see a rifle by Long. Be quick and stop it.

Tim C.

Dakota60

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
Thank you for posting that.  I did see that.  I watched it before going to Dixon's Gun Maker Fair this year.  Unfortunately, the only Stoffel Long rifle that was there was sold before I saw it.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 03:41:07 AM »
I saw one for sale today. I think it was on Brad Bogart's table at $5500
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Dakota60

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 12:06:31 AM »
Thanks but I did buy one.  It is very nice and has a lot of my ancestors signature markings on it.  It doesn't have a lot of carvings or anything like that but it does have several of the brass plate engravings that include his markings and those of the area.  I am happy to have at least one of them back in the family!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 01:53:49 AM »
Well Congratulations on the purchase!!!
John
John Robbins

Dakota60

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 02:22:44 AM »
Thanks John!  I will treasure it and am continuing to look into the family history to try and find out more about the man behind the rifle.  I only wish I had a picture of him.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 03:29:39 AM »
Congratulations!!! Would you post some photos of your ancestor's rifle? We would like to see it. Thank you.
Dick

Dakota60

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
Once I figure out how to post I will.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 11:22:03 PM »
Here is a simple tutorial.. Follow the directions and you will find that you can do it!!!
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 02:46:00 AM »
Pictures posted in ALR Library:
Will be here soon.

go to:    http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=36917.0

Apologies
Hurricane

Dakota60

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 01:33:23 AM »
I thank you for posting these pictures for me but wish my name would have been attached so anyone having questions know to check with me for answers and not you.  I do take ownership of the rifle and of the history behind it; namely Christoffel being my ancestor whom I am very proud of.

Dakota60

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 02:29:20 AM »