Author Topic: Did Wm Large make rifles?  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Don Adams

Did Wm Large make rifles?
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
I know that Wm Large made barrels, but did he also make rifles?  I seen a rifle on gunbroker that said it was made by Wm Large - the barrel says Wm Large and I am thinking that is the only thing that Wm Large made - I believe the rifle was made by another builder.  Nice looking rifle for a .36 caliber.   http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485994669

Just wondering.

Offline PPatch

Re: Did Wm Large make rifles?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:48:46 AM »
The quick answer is yes, Bill made guns. Other members here knew Bill and can confirm. That is a very nice looking .36 caliber, bet its a tack driver.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Old Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »
Yes he sure did. I've seen a few and have some photos of him holding them. There was one hanging on a rack in an antique shop in Huntington a couple of years ago. The owner was a relative and wasn't too keen to sell although she had it on display. I'd say it would have cost a good bit more than what it was probably worth.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:03:57 AM »
Thanks for the information. I've heard very few stories about him, other than that he made barrels.  So does that rifle look like his work or the work of another builder? 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:48:52 AM »
I can assure all on this list that Bill Large made rifles. He made light offhand target rifles as well as heavy bench rest rifles. Just WHAT does being 36 caliber have to do with the appearance of a rifle made by anyone?
There was a Bill Large match rifle in AAA antiques here in Huntington WV and the man that had it was Larry Vaden who owns the shop.He is NOT related to Bill Large.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:04:17 AM »
I can assure all on this list that Bill Large made rifles. He made light offhand target rifles as well as heavy bench rest rifles. Just WHAT does being 36 caliber have to do with the appearance of a rifle made by anyone?
There was a Bill Large match rifle in AAA antiques here in Huntington WV and the man that had it was Larry Vaden who owns the shop.He is NOT related to Bill Large.

Bob Roller

That rifle is not Bill Large's work. Maybe his former son in law,Bob Daley might have made it. Bill would not have used the lock that appears to be a CVA and he would not have gone to all the work involved with the toe plate and inlays. Also I don't remember any 36 caliber barrels made by Bill. He made 29-30-32-38-40-44-45-47-50-53-58-and 69. He did make a special order lot of modern caliber 44's which are really .429 groove diameter for 44 Spl and Magnums. This was for a company that was going to make an upgraded single action revolver of some kind. The whole deal fell apart and Bill got stuck with the long next to useless blanks and never got paid either.

Bob Roller 

Black Jack

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
That rifle is not Bill Large's work. Maybe his former son in law,Bob Daley might have made it. Bill would not have used the lock that appears to be a CVA ..........

Upon close examination, the lock does not appear to be a CVA despite a superficial resemblance.  The enlarged picture shows up dissimilarities.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »
That rifle is not Bill Large's work. Maybe his former son in law,Bob Daley might have made it. Bill would not have used the lock that appears to be a CVA ..........

Upon close examination, the lock does not appear to be a CVA despite a superficial resemblance.  The enlarged picture shows up dissimilarities.

Closer look at that lock says Spain. I saw a bunch of them for sale at Friendship about 30 years ago.

Bob Roller

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
Regardless of who made it, architecturally it looks like an unsophisticated clunker, with a high quality barrel of the time period. That leads me to believe it wasn't made by a well experienced builder.

I wonder what name is on the plate on the barrel?

John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:14:53 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Old Bob

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
Bob I may have mistaken the lady who was working there that day for the owner. She said she was related to Bill.

I just built a half stock .40 for my wife using a 32 inch tapered barrel that Bill made for Gene Hyre many years ago. Gene never did anything with it, but it's found a home. I think I'll be borrowing it when the wife ain't looking.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the information folks!  I thought that lock looked cheesy and that is why I questioned if Mr Large would have built it.  I can only imagine how busy he was making barrels that he didn't have a whole lot of free time to build a lot of rifles.  Mr Roller, thanks for you keen and personal knowledge of Mr Large.

Did you happen to know a Ron Driesbach of Circleville? I know he built quite a few rifles.  I went to school and graduated with his oldest son Seth.  Kevin graduated with my younger sister. I also knew Mickey as well.