Author Topic: Carving a finished gun?  (Read 5469 times)

blackjack

Carving a finished gun?
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:05:26 AM »
So I bought this beautiful finished rifle that fits me great and shoots superb.  It has the classic lines of a custom built long rife but has no carving, engraving or ornamentation of any type.  Would it be a sacrilege to try to go back and carve some designs on the wood now?

If anyone has experience doing this, what kind of problems have you encountered.  I am sure trying to match the finish after you've whittled away some of the wood will be chief among them.  Any other thoughts or experience to either encourage or discourage the effort, or to help me learn how to avoid pitfalls while doing it would be much appreciated.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Carving a finished gun?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »
I'm inclined to say leave it alone.

If you do decide to carve it, I think you should plan to refinish the whole gun. Strip completely, carve, re-scrape, burnish, then stain and seal. Then finish with varnish,oil, Permalyn, whatever.

You may, if you are very careful, be able to incise carve right through the finish, and then just apply finish to the raw cuts. But one slip, and you've got a scratch on your finished wood. I dunno, I never tried this.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
   I would be inclined to agree with Tom's thoughts, in that if you decide to carve it, plan on refinishing.  There is no problem with a low relief carving, or incise carving on a gun already to it's finished dimensions.  There are a number of "originals" that were "enhanced" during the 50-60s by having some carving added.  At this point most are now accepted as having been originally carved...It can be done and done well, but there is skill and work involved. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
Don't be offended with this but, can you carve well enough to do the gun justice? If you are inexperienced I would not attempt it. In fact I personally probably would just leave it alone.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »
I agree with Mike. Don't mess up a finished rifle. The only way to do it right would be to take the rifle back down to a " in the white condition" which would be a lot of work. If you are not a builder then buy a rifle in the white, then you don't have to worry about the finish.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

blackjack

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  You have all pretty much confirmed my suspicion that this is rarely done if ever, and can only be done successfully by someone who is very skilled.  Being a complete, well almost complete, amateur, I think I will let it be. 

Meanwhile I'm starting my first build on a kit stock and practicing on odd pieces of wood around the shop, so maybe some day.  This is just not the piece to begin on.  Again, thanks for the thoughts.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:41 PM »
I think your idea of a kit gun is a good one. If you have a gun that you like and attempt to alter it and it turns out less than an absolute 100% satisfactory, you will always regret fooling with it.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:05:37 AM »
One of the hardest jobs I have ever had was installing an ornate patch box, with piercings, on an already finished gun, that had lots of grain and burl.
Carving a finished gun should be left to a VERY EXPERIENCED wood carver, IF he/she will take it.
And don't cry if the stock gets scratched in the process.
Expect to pay a premium!
My suggestion....don't do it!
Fred
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:06:57 AM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:06:11 AM »
So I bought this beautiful finished rifle...

Finished. That says it for me.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »
Unless you have significant experience in carving and refinishing I would leave it alone and buy the parts and build one to carve.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
 Not exactly an answer to the original post, but I have been doing something similar on my latest personal cherry New England Fouler. After messing with the butt stock shape for months and feeling temporarily impatient, I applied a coat of linseed-no stain of course. After shooting it and hunting some, I have gone back a couple of times and done minor reshaping and some carving. After reapplying linseed to the worked areas they stud out at first, but later blended in. When I am satisfied (if ever), I will apply a final  finish. I've never built a gun this way, but it's kind of fun.
                                                    Turtle

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 07:30:29 AM »
Not exactly an answer to the original post, but I have been doing something similar on my latest personal cherry New England Fouler. After messing with the butt stock shape for months and feeling temporarily impatient, I applied a coat of linseed-no stain of course. After shooting it and hunting some, I have gone back a couple of times and done minor reshaping and some carving. After reapplying linseed to the worked areas they stud out at first, but later blended in. When I am satisfied (if ever), I will apply a final  finish. I've never built a gun this way, but it's kind of fun.
                                                    Turtle

I've become quite a fan of shellac for temporary (work in progress) finishing. Won't stand up to weather or spilling a Manhattan, but it's great for sealing the wood so it doesn't pick up oil or BP residue.

I'm really fussy about stock fit, particularly on fowlers and modern shotguns for skeet & trap. I just make minute adjustments with a rasp and keep re spraying with Zinseer's dewaxed clear to seal new rasp marks.

When you have the stock shaped the way you want it, keep sanding with 220 grit & re spraying  until the pores are filled.  Then stain with an alcohol stain. Follow with an oil finish--anything but urethanes are completely compatible with the shellac.

Absolutely no difference in the stain take-up from the comb that you've fiddled with to the rest of the stock

ddoyle

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 04:01:05 AM »
Make/buy a new side plate (or two or three for practice) and spend the winter learning engraving? A tastefully engraved  silver, brass, iron side plate and screws on another wise utilitarian gun would give you the personal touch, pride of ownership and give you some relatively free entertainment. Success or failure there would be no burnt bridges. If you find your hand suitable to the task there is a lock plate there that can likely have a mate purchased as project #2.