Author Topic: Flintlock Blunderbuss on Gunbroker  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Keithbatt

Flintlock Blunderbuss on Gunbroker
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:21:05 AM »
OK, so I like blunderbusses.  I'm a builder, not a collector but I study literature and browse quite a bit to learn. I especially like Baxter's book "blunderbusses."  I buy auction catalogs to see originals.   

This one is for sale on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485776556

This post is because I want an opinion about the originality of this particular gun.

I do not have the experience to pass judgement, but I'll say what I think.  It looks to me like this has been restocked recently. The wood seems far too clean, the inletting superficially chipped out, whereas the steel is heavily pitted (but clean).   It looks unlike a well cared for original I've seen in print. 

Am I on the right track? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Keith.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Flintlock Blunderbuss on Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »
 For starters I would say their dating is off by at least forty years. The furniture on this piece runs the gamut, from very good shape, to very rough. This makes me believe some of it isn't original to the gun. This thing looks like it might  be a composite gun built from a couple of guns. The lock isn't typical for a blunderbuss. The stock shows what appears to be burn marks, which could be artificial aging of a restock. and of course the side plate is just wrong. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
You're on the right track to feel suspicious about it.  I can't tell whether this is a restock or a heavily sanded and refinished original stock - My gut says restock, given the extra hole in the sideplate.  The stock almost has the look of black walnut too.  The piece as a whole is not 1740s, HH is closer with something more likely 1780s, or maybe even a smidge later.  I believe the steel and the brass have all been cleaned.  The sideplate and barrel look like they fresh "brass black" applied and rubbed back, and the iron parts have a wirebrush finish.  A lot of folks today use brass black to age brass, but it doesn't actually have the same appearance as aged brass.  I've seen locks like that on blunderbusses before, especially later flint period guns.  If you're looking to buy one, keep your eyes open on gunbroker and other online auction sites - they come up now and again in original condition for similar price. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies, helpful for sure.  Regarding the lock, I do agree that it is consistent with some later flint blunderbusses. See pic below from Baxter book.  What stood out to me was the pitted surface of the lock plate along with the pitting on the bayonet mounts contrasting so sharply against the wood, which seems far to clean/smooth.

I wasn't considering buying this one, but trying to figure out how to evaluate an "original" and understand what I'm really looking at.  

Thanks again,

Keith

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:11:59 PM by Keithbatt »

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
restocked hodgepodge of old parts.  Some older than others.