Author Topic: Best mix of BP to order?  (Read 3712 times)

ShutEyeHunter

Best mix of BP to order?
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:16:02 AM »
BP in Western CO is made,of unobtanium....

Need some advice on what to order in a 5 lb. lot.

Have a T/C w slow,twist 50 cal.  Shoots great with Pyrodex and 777.  This is OK and wouldn't change it to fit a,particular BP

Restoring a .45 cal percussion 1840 rifle.  38" barrel

Building a 16 bore flint fowler 42" barrel

What mix of powders would you recommend?

I don't mind experimenting a bit, but,knowing that the next 5lb lot,will,cost,me $130 leads me to getting it right the first time

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Best mix of BP to order?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:11:05 AM »
Well, it will depend on how much you shoot each muzzleloader. Get one pound of 4f for priming. That's the only one you'll ever need as it's only for priming and will take a lifetime to go through. Now, for the rest I would get 1 pound of 2f for your fowler and the rest in 3f. Chances are that your .45 will get better accuracy with 3f but try 2f to be sure. Your fowler may also get better patterns with 3f but I would hazard a guess that 2f is better. Always try both because each firearm is an individual plus you get to shoot that much more.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Any brand preference e.g. Swiss Goex, etc.?

The fowler would get most of the shooting with BP. Mostly clays with a few,ducks and pheasants..

The T/C Hawken is dialed in with the Pyrodex load.  I can't hunt as much as I'd like anymore at 11,000 ft.  So the load I've got will do nicely..   Haven't had any pitting problems that I can notice.

Getting old.sucks but beats the alternative.

45 cal restoration is for proofing and plinking, mostly.  Want to use BP to avoid perchlorate corrosion problems. A pound of powder would last my lifetime in the 45

So maybe,1 Lb 4f, 1 lb 3f and 3 lb 2f to start?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:13:00 AM by ShutEyeHunter »

Offline gwill

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
You might want to consider priming with 3F. Works for me. That would allow you to purchase more powder that you can shoot. 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
For the small amount of powder that you are looking for, the cost plus hazmat fees is going to make it expansive. You might try talking to a couple of members of a local club who could pool what they have and fill your order.
Mark
Mark

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »
Depending on how much you shoot your fowler (occasionally - 1 outing /2 months) I would buy more than 5 pounds as others have stated. This is what I'd buy -- at least 10 pounds total.
4 pounds of 2F
6 pounds of 3F
No 4F use the 3F as prime. If you want finer grain the crush up some 3F ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Any brand preference e.g. Swiss Goex, etc.?

The fowler would get most of the shooting with BP. Mostly clays with a few,ducks and pheasants..

The T/C Hawken is dialed in with the Pyrodex load.  I can't hunt as much as I'd like anymore at 11,000 ft.  So the load I've got will do nicely..   Haven't had any pitting problems that I can notice.

Getting old.sucks but beats the alternative.

45 cal restoration is for proofing and plinking, mostly.  Want to use BP to avoid perchlorate corrosion problems. A pound of powder would last my lifetime in the 45

So maybe,1 Lb 4f, 1 lb 3f and 3 lb 2f to start?
I like Goex just because it's available down here and it's always worked well for me. One brand I will not use again is Jack's battle powder, which curiously is also made by Goex but just doesn't seem to give the same results plus it doesn't come in 2f which is the only type that my .54 likes. The main reason I don't like Pyrodex is its harder to ignite, in my muzzleloaders. Yours make my be different but I encourage you to try Goex in all your firearms. If not Goex then my choice would be Swiss.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:03:12 AM »
Thanks to all.  Plenty of good info to get my order right

Powder Inc sells 5 lb mixed lots @ $25/ lb. I figured I was better off getting a sampler pack before I ordered some that I didn't like.

Next time around I'll order 10 lb

Kinda frustrating being a black powder fan here in western Colorado.  The nearest club I can find is about 300 miles away.  The rifle and trap clubs I belong to don't have BP events.

Now if I got me one of them inline pellet guns, could find lots of friends ::)