Author Topic: Hodgdon triple 7  (Read 9225 times)

cowboys1062

Hodgdon triple 7
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
 I have this container of Triple7 that I have had for some time now. I've never used Triple7 before. I normally use Pyrodex RS in all my muzzleloaders with pretty good results. Blackpowder is hard to come by here where I live. I could be wrong but I think I read some where that Triple7 burns hotter or has a higher combustion rate than Pyrodex or Blackpowder and to adjust my amounts in my loads with this in mind. I absolutely no nothing about Triple7 and will not use it until I'm better informed. I would greatly appreciate any information, thoughts, or advice on the use of this stuff. Also if there is any pros or cons in using it. Respectfully, cowboys1062

tuffy

Re: Hodgdon triple 7
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
From my experience, Triple 7 is just a touch hotter than Pyrodex. But it is much, much less corrosive also. I found that the guns were all much easier to clean. I just shoot offhand at ranges out to 150 yds and my point of aim didn't seem to change much. If you bench shoot that may not be the case. Hope this helps.

CW

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
I have this container of Triple7 that I have had for some time now. I've never used Triple7 before. I normally use Pyrodex RS in all my muzzleloaders with pretty good results. Blackpowder is hard to come by here where I live. I could be wrong but I think I read some where that Triple7 burns hotter or has a higher combustion rate than Pyrodex or Blackpowder and to adjust my amounts in my loads with this in mind. I absolutely no nothing about Triple7 and will not use it until I'm better informed. I would greatly appreciate any information, thoughts, or advice on the use of this stuff. Also if there is any pros or cons in using it. Respectfully, cowboys1062

If you use the search function and do a search on posts by Mad Monk containing the words Pyrodex and Triple 7 you should find a bunch of information from an expert on the subject.  His information is based on research and testing, not on opinion.  I admire your resolve not to use something without knowing the facts on it.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:14:15 AM »
Cowboy, I have been using it since around 2002-2003 and it has worked well for me. The manufacturer says to decrease your load 15% lower than blackpowder. So if your using 100grains blackpowder, use 85 grains 777. Doesnt rust the barrel like pyrodex will. Like said its the only powder that i use nowadays.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

cowboys1062

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »
 Thankyou all for the help! I will look up Mad Munk and see what he says about the stuff. Depending on what Mad Munk says and the advice you all have given me, I feel comfortable about trying the Triple7. I usually shoot 70 grain with my 50 cal. muzzleloaders for 50 to 100 yards using Pyrodex RS. I think I will try the Triple7 adjusting my load down to 55 to 60 grain loads and adjust accordingly and see what my GPR likes. Was very helpful, again thankyou. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 03:42:47 PM »
When I used to sell 777, each case came with pamphlets showing loading data, velocities, and pressures.  You need to ask for one the next time you purchase powder, or see if the manufacturer has the info on their website.  Pressures are substantially higher.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »
Cowboy,

If you look up the posts by Mad Monk, make sure you have his name right.  It's Monk, not Munk. 

You said black powder is hard to come by in your area and I know that's the case with many.  It can be found here only in the local Bass Pro Shop and at about $27 a pound.  That's about what they get for 777 and Pyrodex as well.  I won't shoot anything but black powder in my guns and I shoot enough that $27 a pound would bust my budget.  Have you considered buying black powder by the case from a distributor like Powder, Inc, Maine Powder House, or one of the others?  They'll deliver it to your door for about $15 or $16 a pound for GOEX when purchased this way and they'll mix brands and granulation within the case if requested.  I shoot enough to order a case at a time for myself, but in my club most shooters don't.  Consequently a few get together and split a case.  If you have a friend or two that shoots black powder you might think about doing the same.  That way you can get real black powder and the price is great.  Just a thought.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Mike R

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
around here you can buy a pound of reenactor powder at civil war reenactments for $10 per pound [last time I bought it]....this stuff is made by Goex and I am told by the seller is ~FFFg [it seems a little less "sorted" than the normal powder I have; but I have not tested it...]....it goes bang all right.   Most of this stuff is used in blank loads but I am told works fine behind a ball.   you might check your local area for availability of this powder if there are reenactments local to you...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
... Blackpowder is hard to come by here where I live...

Just to be clear about this, if you live in the US, (except for some "selected" areas) one can have BP delivered to your door.  You may be well aware of that or be in a "land of restriction," but just want to keep that thought alive for those who are able to acquire real BP, right off the truck.

Oh yeah, Mole Eyes beat me to it...  ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:55:20 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »

When you shoot with the 777 be a bit cautious as to charge size.  Normally it gives very little fouling in the bore.  But if you get a bit too big in charge size you will see fouling problems down just ahead of where the projectile sat on the charge.  It's combustion temperature, in large charges, can give a thin film where the solid residue was fused into a glass-like film in the bore.  If you see evidence of that you want to back off on the charge a bit.

Also understand that the ignition temperature of 777 is a bit higher than Pyrodex and a good deal higher than black powder.  So in some guns, like side locks, ignition may not be all that reliable.

In my mule ear rifle it went off easily every time.  The side lock rifle was another story.

Mad Monk
Mad Monk

HAWKEN

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 12:28:34 AM »
Before I was able to get real black powder I bought a pound of 777 and a pound of pyrodex and used them extensively in my .50 Hawken replica.  I tried anywhere from 60 to 100 grains of both and I couldn't tell the difference.  I never had a failure to fire with either powder.  Just to muddy the waters, I was also given a pound of clear shot, another bp substitute, and had the same results as with the other two.  Keep yer powder dry...........Robin

BartSr

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »
I like 777 but here in AZ it costs about $28+/lb.  Back in Oregon it was a heap cheaper.  Will be looking at that Alliant sub that sells for less than 10 bucks here.

Paul

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »
When I first started shooting muzzleloaders in 70's most gun stores, sporting goods and hardware stores sold it. I thought I would be able to get it at the local gun store when I got back in to shooting them and was shocked to find out different. My local guy told me his insurance co. would drop him like a rock if he brought a can in the store.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
Speaking as a former dealer in black powder firearms and a Federal Explosives Licensee by the ATF for 35 years, an F.E.L. license normally requires a storefront business. Then, if the store is located within city limits, the city and/or the fire department can add fees and restrictions. The ATF has regulations on the size and construction of a magazine with locks that cannot be cut with bolt cutters. The locks have to have a minimum number of pin tumblers, etc., etc. Your business insurance agent may have reservations about carrying it.

The Fire Marshal in Fayetteville, NC gave me an ultimatum, close down or spend the money to have my 300 pound steel-plate back door reversed to swing out instead of swing in. Putting the hinges on the outside would  encourage a break-in. But she would not budge from her stand. My attorney, my landlord, and I had to make our appeal to the NC State Fire Marshal in Raleigh, and three months and $ 5,000 later, I got to keep the hinges on the inside.

I recommend Powder, Inc out of Clarksville AR. A minimum case is 5 lbs, next is 10 lbs, last is 25 lbs. The beauty of ordering is one can mix grades and brands to get the lowest cost per pound, including HazMat & shipping. For instance, Swiss powder, favored by national & international competition shooters, is $31.85 in a five pound case and $23.05 in a 25 pound case. So, you get a bunch of friends together to order a 25 lb case, and collectively, they order 23 pounds of GOEX @ $16.20/lb and you throw in your order of two pounds of Swiss 3FG @ $23.05.

Order a ten pound case of GOEX @ $20.05 = $200.50. Five pounds of GOEX will be $127.50, delivered. All the stated prices include shipping & HazMat charges. With the current mood of Washington, having more than two pounds of powder cannot hurt you financially. Hope this helps.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina