Author Topic: Griffith of Mississippi  (Read 3736 times)

dscheller

Griffith of Mississippi
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:30:50 PM »
My interest in this site is geneological.  My great great grandfather was a gunsmith born in England.  He married in Virginia moved to Yazoo County, Mississippi in 1850 - 1865 then on to Tipton County, Tennessee in 1870.  You all seem very knowledgeable about historical guns and makers.  His name was Charles H Griffith. I assume he came from a family of gunsmiths, but don't know for sure.  Any help would be appreicated.

Diane

eddillon

Re: Griffith of Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
Can't find this name in Frank Sellers book.  However, there is a Charles Griffiths and a Henry Griffiths in Little Rock AR in the 1860s.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:26:28 AM »
I've got a listing for a Charles Griffiths in Cincinnati in 1846. Brother of John and originally from Louiseville.
Mark

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:37:12 AM »
Jerry Nobles book "Notes on Southern Long Rifles-Vol 4".
Charles Griffith . Born 1815 England. Yazoo co. Mississippi 1850.

JIM

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 02:12:31 AM »
Diane,
I live in Mississippi, and have done research on gunsmiths in this area. I show Charles Griffith as working in Benton, Yazoo County, Miss. from 1848 to 1869. In 1870, he is working in Covington, Tipton County, Tenn. and living in the same household with his son Henry, a farmer. That's all I have on him.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 03:37:34 AM »
I thought that name rang a bell. I looked it up in the little book I keep with records of the old guns I do work on. I worked on a poor boy rifle marked C. Griffith, in 1989. It was a full stocked percussion, in walnut, with a back action lock, marked Kennedy Warenteed. It had wide spaced double set triggers, in a brass double spur guard. The ramrod pipes were quite long, with double pins, and the entry pipe had no tail. The nose cap was poured,and quite long. The barrel was 38" long, and about .40 cal. The rifling was 7 grooves, with wide grooves, and narrow lands. The hammer was missing, and I replaced it with a new old stock hammer from Dixie Gun Works.

Hungry Horse

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »
I thought that name rang a bell. I looked it up in the little book I keep with records of the old guns I do work on. I worked on a poor boy rifle marked C. Griffith, in 1989. It was a full stocked percussion, in walnut, with a back action lock, marked Kennedy Warenteed. It had wide spaced double set triggers, in a brass double spur guard. The ramrod pipes were quite long, with double pins, and the entry pipe had no tail. The nose cap was poured,and quite long. The barrel was 38" long, and about .40 cal. The rifling was 7 grooves, with wide grooves, and narrow lands. The hammer was missing, and I replaced it with a new old stock hammer from Dixie Gun Works.

Hungry Horse
Your precise record keeping is to be commended. A lot of detail there.