Author Topic: Leonard Day Swivel Breech Rifle  (Read 10020 times)

bigskybound

Leonard Day Swivel Breech Rifle
« on: June 07, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »
I recently picked up an almost mint condition, probably unfired, Leonard Day Swivel Breech rifle.  It is relatively plain compared to some examples, having unadorned Walnut stocks.  It is .54 rifle/smoothbore.

Only flaws are that someone kind of buggered a couple of screws on lockplates, I suspect while trying to tighten up action.

Since Mr. Day is apparently retiring I suspect his products will be appreciating, so I will not be shooting this one.  Any thoughts on current market value?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Leonard Day Swivel Breech Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.  Leonard day likely didn't make anything other than the action.  Enjoy your new rifle. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 02:23:07 AM »
I ran across one in a gunshop in NC that was for sale at $495 IIRC. I called to buy it and they said someone had just bought it. I said I guess so at that price and they said they had it for a longtime and no one wanted it then two of us wanted it on the same day.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline cable

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
I have one of his  in 50 cal and in talking to him he remembered making it.   it is a good bit fancier.  shoots very well.   he did sell the actions to a lot of folks.

bigskybound

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
I spoke to Mr. Day on the phone and he said it was a complete rifle he built. Is sending me new screws, too.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »
I sold a Leonard Day swivel barrel flintlock in 54 cal/16 gauge about ten years ago for $1,500.00; found it in a pawn shop for $500.  The owner brought it back last year, interested in selling it. I found another buyer @ $1,500.00, so its on layaway.

Seems like Track of The Wolf sold one similar for about $2,500 a few months ago. It was designed much like mine. I met Mr Day's son at the NMLRA's Southeastern Rendezvous in 2013, and he indicated then, about a year wait, and $1,600 to start for one like mine.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
I just took note of how those panels are married to the barrels, that took a lot of talent.  It was hard to see that
on my phone.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
Hi,
The gun is worth more than you paid for it, I'm sure.
You do have a very unusual gun, that is not every day common.
Selling it will give you a profit, however you will wait a long time to get another like that.
I would keep it and strut around, knowing you have a one of a kind.
That one gun makes you ready for what ever.
Mr. Day makes mighty fine guns!
I will gladly trade you a well used CVA cheapo gun and throw in $10  ;D
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

bigskybound

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »
That is a mighty tempting offer, Fred.  Another gun and $10 cash money is hard to pass up. ;D

OK, I paid $1300 + about $25 shipping for the rifle.  The sellers (who liquidate lots of gun collections) were unfamiliar - thankfully - with "L. DAY."  When I told Mr. Day over the phone what I paid for it, he laughed really loud and said I got a very good deal. 8)

My safe only has a handful of guns that I keep as investments and this will be one of those.  I have a mighty fine TVM Tennessee flinter for shooting and hunting.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Every once in a while we bend over and pick up lost $20 bill, or a lucky ticket for a lottery.
In your case you got that fine rifle.

Well I guess our trade is not going to happen...hungh? :(
All the very best!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
 Would you show a Pic of the ramrod side please?

Tim C.

bigskybound

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 02:47:01 AM »
Here ya go, Tim.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »
 Thanks, TC