Author Topic: Engraving help.  (Read 3631 times)

red owl

Engraving help.
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:19:47 PM »
This has to do with a folding knife and the bolsters on the side (front and back).  Some of the pre-1840 folding knives have what looks like file work but might be engraving. Any curved type of decoration would obviously be engraving but I've seen bolsters with top to bottom straight grooves and then maybe perpendicular grooves. I think needle files could be used but I'm wondering if engravers would be the better choice.
   If you can imagine the front bolster. There would be three parallel grooves from top to bottom next to the scale area.  Beginning at the most forward groove, there are then straight lines to the front of the bolster in a sprayed out or sunburst pattern.
   If engraving tools are the correct choice- what type and size would work for such a job? Thanks.

Offline Jerry

Re: Engraving help.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:32:15 AM »
For engraving those lines, I would use a 3/32" square graver. For me, the graver would be the tool of choice. Jerry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:34:19 AM by Jerry »

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
 I'm pretty sure most of those, if not all, were filed.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:22:16 AM »
Any line I could cut with a file, I would.  You can make a long fine line with a triangular needle file.   I use various size triangular files to make long lines and moulding is wood and metal.