Author Topic: Heinz 57 range report  (Read 2173 times)

Offline T*O*F

Heinz 57 range report
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »
My neighbor allowed me to set up a target at the back of his property to get my sights lined up.  I started at 25 yards and got it in the X ring on the 4th shot.  Then I moved back to 75 yards and it was hitting 6" high.  Figuring the bullet was on the rise, I left the sights alone and shot at 150 yards.  Windage and elevation just right.  All this was done using all the bad bullets I culled from the 100 that I had cast.  So, it appears to have some potential and these settings will allow me a starting point at Friendship.

On the bad side, I could feel my bad disc starting to hurt and on my 10th shot, I got a charley horse in my calf muscle again.  I pulled it a couple of weeks ago while toting four 33 gallon garbage bags and it hit me as I was stepping down off the curb.  If these ailments don't get any better by Saturday, I may have to have Snapper or his son wring this gun out for me.  I don't think my X-sticks are tall enough to shoot from the sitting position.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Heinz 57 range report
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »
I'm extremely interested in the results. I hope you recover from your ailments and are able to participate in the shooting .
I'd hate for you to miss out on the fun  :)

Offline Daryl

Re: Heinz 57 range report
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »
At reasonably close ranges, 'bad' bullets can be surprisingly accurate.  Friend John C. once gave me some heavy for calibre bullets he'd cast that looked like frightened lead, you know, bullets that look like 1970's era Japanese motorcycle tools?

After his coaxing, I loaded them up with a favourite recipe and found they'd print just over an inch to 1 1/2" at 100yards - off bags  of course - rather shocked me, but shows what you can get away with in larger bored guns.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V