Author Topic: Update for the CLA website  (Read 9182 times)

Offline Bart

Update for the CLA website
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
What happened to the CLA website?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Update for the CLA website
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »
I was curious myself.   I got a note from Rachel a few days ago saying that Go Daddy was working to restore it.    I just checked and it is still down.   I have been running web sites continuously since 1995 and never had one down more than a few hours.  I can't imagine what happened. 

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »
Answers provided to this point give no idea of "what's happened".  The conclusion one comes to is that it is not a matter of importance to the CLA and the specific staff responsible for a fix.  It was a site I visited at least every day and often more frequent.  I'm quickly learning that I don't need to visit it at all.  Another thread noted that while the publications are "first rate" the focus does not really hit me the way it might a builder or a wealthy collector...just more weight on the side of finding more suitable resources for my shooting and collecting interest.  I'll soon delete the bogus favorite from my list.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
I'd prefer if we don't get into bashing the CLA over technical difficulties. While it certainly is not perfect, the CLA a great resource for our community.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
I agree with Acer, we have no idea of what went wrong, nor what is going on at this time. Hopefully they will have the site back on line soon.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bart

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
Thanks !!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »
I miss visiting the site every few days.  It's strange that it would take this long to restore a website.  I hope they
had the files properly backed up, but I'm beginning to think that could be the issue.  Otherwise, it would be restored
by now.  If they were to reach out, I am sure they could get help.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

TickLick

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »
I was going to ask if anyone knew what happened to the CLA website, but it seems it remains a mystery. 

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the CLA site?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 12:19:06 AM »
There seems to have been some movement on getting back the CLA site. These links work for me

http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/
http://longrifle.3dcartstores.com/
http://www.longrifle.com/annualshow.html

Hopefully we will soon have the other areas back.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

nosrettap1958

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »
They said they are working on it. I give them the benefit of the doubt. To good of a web-site to just dismiss it.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 02:16:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is the CLA site?

It is the website of the Contemporary Longrifle Association.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
I received the following via email from the CLA office this morning:

Life before the World Wide Web....that is what is feels like in the CLA!
We know you are anxiously awaiting the restoration of the CLA website.  Unfortunately we have had a few more obstacles than anticipated.

Due to an unfortunate incident the data for our website was lost.  It took GoDaddy 10 days to pull the data from backup.  Once the backup was restored we were then given instructions on how to relink the data.  This is where we ran into another challenge.  The data does not want to link.

We have a couple options now.  We can attempt the restore a second time which could take up to 10 days.  Our other option is to attempt to relink the data a different way which requires programming skills.  We have contacted a programmer to attempt the latter option in hopes that we can restore the data sooner.

Please be assured we are working as fast we can to restore the site.  It IS coming back!

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Rachel Nolen, Administrator
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:41:47 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
I got this email (am sure all CLA members did) and it gives an update on the site situation.

Life before the World Wide Web....that is what is feels like in the CLA!

We know you are anxiously awaiting the restoration of the CLA website.  Unfortunately we have had a few more obstacles than anticipated.

Due to an unfortunate incident the data for our website was lost.  It took GoDaddy 10 days to pull the data from backup.  Once the backup was restored we were then given instructions on how to relink the data.  This is where we ran into another challenge.  The data does not want to link.

We have a couple options now.  We can attempt the restore a second time which could take up to 10 days.  Our other option is to attempt to relink the data a different way which requires programming skills.  We have contacted a programmer to attempt the latter option in hopes that we can restore the data sooner.

Please be assured we are working as fast we can to restore the site.  It IS coming back!

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
I am amazed there wasn't a backup for the site and why a restore would take 10 days is also baffling. That said, good luck to them and I'm sure a lesson has been learned.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »
I received the following update via email from the CLA office this morning:

The CLA website has been partially restored.  There are still several items missing.
1. The For Sale section and the Artisan Profile pages have to be rewritten.  We are expecting this to be complete some time next week.

2. The photo gallery will have to have all of the photos reloaded.  This should also be completed next week.

You can now log in to access the membership directory, renew your membership and register for the show and access the other information for members only.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Ron Winfield

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 07:52:08 PM »
I received the following update via email from the CLA office this morning.  All CLA members should be receiving these website updates. 

Although the CLA website is not completely back up yet, you can still view the items for the 2015 fund raising auction by either going to the CLA Website at http://www.longrifle.com and click on the CLF fundraising link in the lower right corner of the home page or you can go directly to the CLF website at http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/. click on the “2015 Fund Raising Auction” link from the home page or click on “Fund Raising Projects” and then “2015”.

Currently there are 11 of the 20 items donated by 26 CLA artists posted with descriptions of the items and detailed photographs.  Be sure to check back often as new items are posted every few days.

Ron Winfield

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »
I am a member of the CLA and I am patiently awaiting the full return of our web site. The CLA does some things that I don't agree with but as the philosopher once said you can please all the people part of the time and part of the people all of the time. I'm sure they are frantically doing everything they can to get it restored as this is one of the biggest perks of the association. This association has brought our hobby to the fore front and I have met some of the most wonderful and talented people through it.

Kind Regards
Frank Barker