Author Topic: This Dam Weather!  (Read 4493 times)

cowboys1062

This Dam Weather!
« on: June 16, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
 I have yet to cast a ball! I am brand new to casting and can't wait for my first session. I have purchased the equipment I needed and a very generous and kind member sent me 30 pounds of lead that I needed to get me started. I have asked alot of questions and have learned alot through reading the forums and watching as many Youtube videos as I can. A couple of members here on this forum have been guiding me along. The member that sent me the lead also advised me on what I'd need and where to get it. I'm feeling pretty confident I can start now. Unfortunately it has been raining here for the last couple of weeks with still more rain in the forcast. I don't have a garage or shed so all my casting has to be outdoors. If there is one thing I've learned it is that water and casting lead definitely do not mix! I'm on hold till further notice. Respectfully, cowboys1062

Offline Standing Bear

Re: This Dam Weather!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
Yezzir, water and molten lead don't mix.  That's an understatement.  Even a drop of perspiration can cause unwanted splattering. 

Safety equipment must include eye protection after that long pants closed toe shoes or boots and even gloves are recommended.  As you will be pouring outside there shouldn't be a problem with ventilation but a fan wouldn't hurt.  I pour in a metal shop building with doors open and two fans running.  One blows on me and toward an overhead door and the other is half way between me and the overhead door blowing toward the door.

It's kinda like running a chain saw or reloading, if done correctly it is safe, fun and rewarding.  If procedures especially safety precautions aren't followed the results can be catastrophic.

Take care,

TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:23:42 AM »
I hear you Brother!!! Only three range sessions this far and not one day out groundhog hunting this year.

And the only thing I see on the weather channel, more rain.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:28:13 AM »
  If you do not have to shovel it,, I'am good with it.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:18:22 AM »
  If you do not have to shovel it,, I'am good with it.

Well stated....well stated.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dewey

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »
Well, I won't complain until the water is up to my chin....and then I'm gonna mention it to somebody!!!

(Lucky for Illinois that Iowa is removing some of that rain before it gets to you !!!)

cowboys1062

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »
 The rain is in the forcast every day until Monday, 22nd of June. That day calls for clear skies and 0% chance of rain. God willing, That will be my target day! I want things as safe and conditions perfect before I try my first attempt. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

BartSr

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
113F for three days (Phoenix AZ).   Heat warnings everywhere.  Folks go mountain climbing for 8 hours in this heat then die, it's too bad that happens, but find out first folks!  ???

Just heard, PHX airport reports 117F, new record.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:42:14 AM by BartSr »

Online Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »
Anything over 78F is hot to me - even 75 can be hot if the humidity is high, like over 85%.  In 2006, the temp was 49C during the silhouette BP ctg. match at Hefley Creek Rendezvous (Rendezvous BC 2006).  40C is 122F - the guys were laying or sitting in the grass, out in the sun with rifles over cross-sticks. Before firing a shot, the barrels were too hot to grab with a hand. The shooting was very poor.

Thankfully, the weather change patterns of today have rendered THOSE extremely hot days a distant memory. I know this isn't so for other areas. Stay as cool as you can! Heat can indeed kill.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V