Author Topic: Christian Oerter Rifles  (Read 4026 times)

Offline der treue Hesse

• Starting Member
Christian Oerter Rifles
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:35:57 AM »
My name is Todd and I am a Long-rifle-builder…....I am glad I got that off of my chest!

This my first post since joining this list last summer.  I have benefited quite a bit from being a regular reader of the posts.   I must say I appreciate the extensive knowledge, rare abilities and willingness to share intimate details of original longrifles by the membership of this list.

I am now in the process of gathering materials and knowledge for this year’s summer project.  I would like to build an Oerter-isk rifle as faithful to the details of the originals as possible.  I have collected all of the published photos and writings available to me, but find myself falling short in a couple of critical areas.  Some of the membership of this list has undoubtedly been part of the exclusive audience able to view and study both the Marshall and Coykendall rifles made by Christian Oerter.  I direct my appeal for information to all of you.  Primarily, I need to acquire a barrel of the correct proportions.  I have been told that Ed Rayl can produce a copy of the William Marshall barrel.  This may be an option for me, but if the outter dimensions fall within the minimum/maximum dimensions of a standard “D” weight 44” barrel, I can do the profile shaping myself.  So the question is, can anyone provide me with this dimensional information?
My second question relates to the ramrod thimbles.  Has anyone had the opportunity to measure the length and the inside dia. of the Marshall or Coykendall thimbles?  I can scale many of the rifles other architectural details by comparing these dimensions against the published photographs.

Well, there you go.  I hope that I don’t come off as being to pushy, but this is the only group of people that really understands obsessing over such a thing.  If anyone can help me I would be truly grateful.

Todd

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Christian Oerter Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
Jack Brooks is probably one of the best resources for info on the William Marshall rifle.  He has examined it at length and has produce an accurate copy of it.  He also has castings available patterned after the furniture on the rifle, including the patchbox and triggers.  I would highly recommend you check with him.
Eric Kettenburg has also handled it first hand and photographed it I believe, and no-doubt studied it.  He and Jack have both been quite helpful to me in numerous ways, in the past.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »
Jim Chambers sells a pretty accurate set of parts (or complete kit) for the E. Marshall rifle. I am finishing one up right now. I'm thinking the butt plate, rr pipes & trigger guards are quite different on the Oerter rifles I've seen in RCA. Don't recall what the barrel size and lengths were.
Tom C.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Unless you want to make a "documentary copy" of a particular gun, the exact barrel dimensions don't matter.  The best regularly available barrel pattern is the 42" "golden age" pattern that Colerain and Getz and everyone carries.  It has minimal taper and flare.  Get the larger diameters, like 1 1/8".
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
der treue Hesse,
Ed will make a barrel to your dimensions as well as use some of the templates that he has. I gave him custom dimensions for a 15" pistol barrel and he duplicated them exactly the way I asked for them.

I had him use a template that he has for an original upper valley VA (supposedly) rifle. It looks very much like a Christian Springs  barrel. It is 1.197 inches at the breech. Quickly tapers down to 1" six inches from the breech and is .875 at the muzzle. The original is 58 caliber but I had mine made in .54 The barrel is 46.5 inches long.

Dennis

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:15:16 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson