Author Topic: unknown maker  (Read 11978 times)

Offline alhedrick

• Starting Member
unknown maker
« on: June 19, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
hello all I just recently acquired a 20 ga. smoothe bore English fowler and it appears to have been a kit  it is my first  and am trying to findout what company may have made it  the only markings I can find on it are on one flat of the barrel and on the inside of the lock
it is a circle with the letter c inside of the circle with the letter p inside of the letter c this is stamped on one flat of the barrel and also on the inside of the lock plate.

it is something that someone put together it has a butt plate , side plate and trigger guard from a first model  brown Bess a single trigger and a 42 " octagon to round barrel any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated  also has what appears to be a ketlend style lock, just trying to figure out who made this gun and aproxamte time period

*topic merged with another asking about the same gun* 
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:58:55 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:45:10 AM »
A decent picture would be worth a thousand words.
John
John Robbins

Offline alhedrick

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:13:13 AM »
not real good with a computer. as soon as I can figure it out ill post some pics

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:31 AM »
Hi Al,

Welcome to ALR.  Here's a link to a tutorial on posting pictures here..... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:20:44 AM »
not real good with a computer. as soon as I can figure it out ill post some pics

Send the photos to me and I will post them for you. You should have my email, if not its in my profile.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:49:59 AM »
Here are the photos Al sent to me.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline alhedrick

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
there are more pics to come just having problems whith internet

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »
It's a Siler not a Ketland lock and hardware store flat head screws. That's all I got.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 12:41:42 AM »
Now way to tell who made it. Not one of the top dogs for sure.... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
More photos:

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
 With the Siler lock, and the curve in the  buttstock she looks a lot more French than English, to my eye. The rifle style ramrod pipes, and English trigger guard make things just that more convoluted. I hope someone didn't intentionally choose these parts to build this gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:25 PM »
It's way outside my field of study, but then I have learned a bit about some of the other types of guns.  As Hungry Horse says, appears to be a compilation of parts across styles/periods/schools. 

It's a flintlock smoothie and enjoy it for that.  If you get into building, you'll probably want to study and follow a defined school/period of gun a bit more closely.

As it is, I'd only fix the buttplate screws and simply shoot the thing. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline alhedrick

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 01:53:35 AM »
from what I can find out the guy who made it was into reenactments . not sure who he was
the barrel is 1" acf. 42" long has a bore of .624 with a wall of .050 at muzzle. so my question now is
what load for shot and what load for ball as this is my first smooth bore always wanted one and found
 this one at a flea market for 200 and thought it was a fair deal . hope to someday build one but it will
probably be a 10 bore as they are my favorite.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 04:46:31 AM »
From what I can see the barrel looks like one of those track barrels. Nothing wrong with that. Brown Bess trigger guard & butt plate. You stole it for $200.00.

I'd shoot a .600" ball with a .018" pillow tick patch & spit with 80 gr 2F.
90 2F with 2 of them .125 nitro cards, same measure of shot (#6 or #7 1/2) and a over shot card. I also would use 4F prime.
I used this recipe in many .62 caliber smoothbores with a lot of success. The shot depends on what you're shootin at. Clay birds break good with a mix of #6 & #7 1/2 or even #8 if you hit em good.
I'm sure you will get many different loads so try them all and use the best for that gun.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:48:59 AM by Keb »

Offline alhedrick

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 05:30:57 AM »
rely wasn't  sure as some of the work on this rifle left a lot to be desired.
were the track barrels just drilled for the touch hole as this one is and then a small chamfer on the hole.
had to re solder one of the under lugs and finish inletting the lock as he had some brass solderd to the frizzen and the back side of the lock plate lock appears to be a little far forward as the touch hole is about 5/8" forward from end of barrel just hate it when people don't do things right

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
Usually the vent hole location is up to the builder and it's also his option to use a liner or just a drilled hole. I've had good success using a drilled hole by coning a 1/16" hole with a larger 5/64" drill from the outside then chamfer it with a 5/32" drill.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 01:44:56 AM »
Try about 90 grains of 2f with a bare .595 round ball dropped on top of it, and hold it in place with a blanket wad made from a piece of old wool blanket, dipped in hot bear, or venison tallow, and left to dry. You might be shocked at how well this shoots, out to about 75 yards.

Hungry Horse