Author Topic: Rizer & related families  (Read 2973 times)

Fitzhugh

Rizer & related families
« on: June 24, 2015, 01:54:20 AM »
I am currently working on a comprehensive biography of famed Kentucky silversmith, clock & instrument maker Jonathan Simpson of Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky.  My research is revealing a broad and complex connection to other craftsmen of the region, including gunsmith Jacob Rizer of Bardstown.  I would appreciate data on both these men, as well as other members of the extended Simpson-Linebaugh-Rizer clan. 

Offline Gary Tucker

Re: Rizer & related families
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:57:48 AM »
Jacob Rizer was a very well known gunmaker in Bardstown from I believe about 1815 and later.  He worked in partnership for a while with a Mr. Weller[?]  He made very fine rifles with beautiful patchboxes that are very graceful looking.  I know there is a fine rifle of his at Locust Grove near Louisville. His home is still standing as a private residence and I had the opportunity to tour it.  That was a great day.
Gary Tucker

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Rizer & related families
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
You can find rather extensive biographies on both Jacob Rizer and David Weller in the recently published book, "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900." Information about the book is on this web site under  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27273.0 It also includes information on Rizer's younger brother, gunsmith Matthias Rizer of Bardstown, who I believe also married a Linebaugh, as did Jacob and Jonathan Simpson.  Shelby Gallien