Author Topic: French Pistols ID  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Steve Collward

French Pistols ID
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »
Attached are some photos of two flint pistols.  The only markings are on the inside of the lock plate.  One being "P GIRARD" and the other appears to be "A JANISSON".  Gardner's "Small Arms Makers" lists a P. Girard in St. Etienne, France 1770-1810.  I believe these would be post 1800 pistols.  Would appreciate any feedback if anyone knows of the "A Janisson" name. I am also interested in knowing if these pistols were a specific model for the French military or civilian trade.  So many other French pieces of this style are stamped all over the lock, stock and barrel, but not these.  However, they are very well made and have some heft. Smoothbore barrels, approximately .72 cal. are 7 1/2" long with overall length being 14". Note that they still have French flints in lead jaw pads.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: French Pistols ID
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
Hi Steve,
They look like pistols made from parts of French model 1809 and 1816 officer's pistols.  I suspect they were for civilian trade.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Steve Collward

Re: French Pistols ID
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:53:48 AM »
Dave,
  Thanks for the feedback. Given the lack of markings on the barrel and lock, these probably were offered for private purchase.