Author Topic: Hawken rifle, Art Ressel shop  (Read 6124 times)

hawknknife

Hawken rifle, Art Ressel shop
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
I purchased a Hawken replica yesterday that the owner told  me it was puchased from the Hawken
Shop in the early 80's.  It is very well made, has a Ron Long lock, Barrel by H&H marked "H&H, .54, 1-60 and is 34 inches long.  The barrel and patent breach are numbered the same.  My questions are it is browned, no faux case color, nice curly maple stock, rib is screwed on with the slots showing, no S. Hawken mark on top flat...Did the original Hawken Shop sale completed rifles in this configuration for sale?

Offline Don Stith

Re: Hawken rifle, Art Ressel shop
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:16:49 PM »
Don't know how we could verify the true history.
 My best guess is someone built the rifle with ArtsParts and had the shop sell it on consignment. THe barrel being brown is not an issue on the origin
 Even the ones built specifically for Art by Keith Neubauer were brown in color.  It was a smooth, shiny brown using a process similar to a rust blue with hot water tanks and the old Herters blue chemicals. Keith used to joke that you read the instructions and just did every thing wrong and it came out brown instead of blue.. The not stamped and slots visible in rib make me think it was not built as a Hawken shop build .

hawknknife

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
Don, Thanks for the quick reply.  The barrel has rounded lands not button style.  I did notice the fore end cap and trigger guard were an unusual brown color, looked more like high polish blue finish but was brown in color.  The barrel and lock plate are an even brown color and a fine texture but without the high polish..

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:21:25 AM »
Do you have photos of the rifle available ?

hawknknife

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »
Moses, Send me your email address...Carl

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:43:05 AM »
As soon as I return from a funeral this weekend, I will have to post photos of the "twin brother" of "hawknknife".

One of three Hawkens I bought from a friend, is a rifle likely made by Joe Corley. His name is on the bottom of the barrel along with the caliber, barrel twist, and matching numbers on the barrel and breech plug.  About an inch to the right of "Corley" is an upside down "12" in an oval circle.

I have seen dozens and dozens of fine custom-made Hawkens over the past 50 years, but this one takes the cake. I have never seen one mounted with color-case furniture. The photos came out nicely. I need to post them to Photobucket.

Through a mutual friend here on the forum, I have been in contact with Joe to see if he can recall the order.

The other two were crafted by John Bergmann and the late Ted Fellows.

I may have to wait till the end of the month to post, because I need to spend time with the attorney on the estate. Please bear with me.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina