Author Topic: Patch Lube, Bore Cleaner, Bore rust preventative recommendations?  (Read 28094 times)

benjaminh123

Hi,
Does any one have preferences when it comes what Patch Lube, Bore Cleaner, Bore rust preventative you use?

Benjamin
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:02:37 AM by benjaminh123 »

jamesthomas

Re: Patch Lube, Bore Cleaner, Bore rust preventative recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:41 AM »
 There are as many combinations  as there are black powder shooters, I use either Hoppe's No.9 plus or Mink oil as a patch lube, bore cleaner is a squirt bottle with some water and Dawn dish soap, Bore rust preventive is Barricade for short term( less than 2 weeks) or Rig gun Grease for anything longer.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:02 AM »
Not only will the preferences vary from shooter to shooter, maybe also from gun to gun, and even for the same gun depending on whether it's being used for a target match where you're shooting 20 shots over the course of 2 hours versus hunting where the gun might stay loaded for a day without being fired.

For my last range outing, I lubed the patches with Hoppes 9 Plus.  Cleanup was tap water, and Ballistol to lube before putting the gun away.  As an extra precaution, the following morning I'll take the gun and run a patch through the barrel and verify that I didn't miss any crud.  With the lubes I mentioned, I don't have to clean between shots, cleanup takes about 20 minutes, and the "morning after" patch has been coming out clean.

If you're just getting started in BP shooting, expect some trial and error before you find what works well for you.   Other common patch lubes are Lehigh Valley Lube, Mr Flintlock, spit, and Ballistol/Water Mixture (usually in ratio of approximately 1/6).   Alternative cleaning solutions are water with a drop of detergent,  Moose Milk (homebrew usually 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap, 1 part alcohol, 5 to 10 parts water), Hoppes 9Plus, and Ballistol/Water (1:1).

Good luck.

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:30 AM »
I have tried more than I care to admit but what I like best is the Track of the Wolf black powder bore "solvent"...I think they call it.  An 8 oz bottle for about $7.  Not going into the routine but it has cut cleaning time in half for me.  It's not supposed to be a "detergent" but will bubble slightly when shaken.  Maybe it's one of those "ionic action" cleaners...whatever that is.

benjaminh123

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:21:26 AM »
Thanks everyone. I think I will probably pick up a bottle of Hoppes No. 9 Plus. How well does it function as a black powder solvent and rust protectant? Apparently it is supposed to be a "black powder solvent and patch lubricant", that "lubricates as it cleans fouling from the bore and protects against rust and corrosion".
What do you think about using one product for all three functions?

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:36:10 AM »

What do you think about using one product for all three functions?

Ballistol is one candidate for all three (assuming, of course, that your gun likes Ballistol for patch lube).   

I don't think Hoppes, Mr. Flintlock or Lehigh Valley Lube would meet your "one product" goal.   The directions for Hoppes 9+ and Mr Flintlock (and presumably Lehigh Valley Lube, since LVL and MrF are  supposed to be pretty much identical) say use a moisture displacing lube or oil for rust prevention after cleaning. 

benjaminh123

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 03:41:10 AM »
Whats your opinion on WD-40 as a bore rust preventative?

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:18 AM »
I have used WD and it seems OK but I also have used others and they seem OK as well.  I like to use WD rather immediately after the water as that's one of it main features....WD...."water displacing".  But I tell ya, there ain't nothing like getting a good DRY barrel from setting in the bright sunshine!

Dogshirt

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 05:35:56 AM »
WD40 is good for a day or two in the field, but it is USLESS after 2-3 days. It is NOT a rust preventive!

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:11:54 AM »
Clean w water

Lube w spit or water at the range
Lube w TOW mink oil for hunting 1 day to 3 weeks
Protect from rust with Break Free or Rem oil
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
Hi,
Does any one have preferences when it comes what Patch Lube, Bore Cleaner, Bore rust preventative you use?

Benjamin

Welcome to the site Benjamin.  Do note that there are 150 previous threads on these questions with 100's of replies.  The search function is very handy at digging these out.

Personally (and I have read practically every one of those threads, so have heard all the arguments for each and every thing) I like spit for target shooting, NFO (pure) for hunting.  I clean with water, room temp.  I displace any residual water with wd40 and then use a rust preventative oil*  after that for harsh conditions, but don't fret it too much when the gun is staying in the house.  I clean with tow and a tow worm.  No jags, no patches.

*take your pick-wipe out before loading.

Also you'll find that there is a large group of seasoned BP shooters here who load a good snug ball/patch combination and do not find it necessary to wipe/clean between shots or any number of shots.  Whether you develop a load combination that allows such, or not is up to you.  But for most folks, tighter combinations produce more consistent accuracy and less fouling.

Reading up on all that will keep you busy for a while.  Enjoy and Keep your powder dry! ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:15:50 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
Bear grease or deer tallow for patch lube for shooting and I also like mink oil for cold weather. I use tow an worm with water to clean after shooting.  I use bear oil for barrel lube after cleaning. No problems after many yrs of use
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »
WD40 is good for a day or two in the field, but it is USLESS after 2-3 days. It is NOT a rust preventive!

You are quite correct, it is not a rust preventive and if left in the bore for a long time it will dry up and leave behind a film of residue.  However, it is great for water displacement, which is what it was intended to do.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »
WWWF for patch lube - Winter Winshield Washer Fluid with some oil (Neetsfoot is what I use)- about 2 ounces oil per pint.  Works in freezing winter or blazing heat in summer.
Pump water into and out to clean, dry with patches, spray in WD40 until it runs out the vent or nipple seat, then patch that out wiht 2 patches. use those for wiping down the outside of the gun.  Depends on your local humidity if further rust protection is needed- here- no, due to ambient humidity being 50%.  In high humidity areas, you need more protection. Rig is what I use on the outside when hunting in more humid fall season.

I've been using WD40 since 1972 - I've never seen any WD40 film - I've read about it right here, but I've never seen that varmint.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 02:13:39 AM »
Coconut oil for patch lube,water for cleanin with a shot of Dawn dish soap,Wd40  then Mobil One for final oilin.  Curt

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 02:17:40 AM »
I use the dutch shoultz method for extreem accuracy in my guns . My deer gun likes the 7 to 1 mixture real well using .28 to .30 denim.
After cleaning with warm water with a drop dawn dish washing liquid, I use ballistol inside my bore to protect it if I am storing it short term a month or so. If storing for longer periods I use Rig grease. Its hard to beat Rig for protection.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
Hi,

Benjamin

Short answer; Yes. Seems that every shooter has preferences and after years of experience, they are all different and they are all the best the shooter has ever tried.

My personal preferences are

• Ballistol diluted with water for target shooting patch lube; Dixie's "Ol' Zip" for hunting
  • Windshield washer solvent for cleaning
  • "Break Free" CLP for rust prevention and lubrication

Offline Maven

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
I do something similar to Pete G.  1 Ballistol : 6 water for a patch lube when temps. are above freezing.  (I add 1 part 90% rubbing alcohol when its below freezing.)  For hunting loads, i.e., when the charge & patched ball may remain in the bbl. for extended periods, I use Stumpy's Moose Snot (google it; easy to make).  For clean up, it's 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap + 1 part 70% or 90% rubbing alcohol + 1 part 3% (household variety) hydrogen peroxide.  Pour it down your bbl., let it sit for a few minutes, agitate it, and repeat as many times as necessary.  Dry the bbl. thoroughly.  I then use a liberal dose of WD-40, followed by ATF and/or Marvel Mystery Oil the next day.  I check the bbl. again on the 3rd day and re-oil if necessary, which is a rarity even in the humid Hudson Valley.
Paul W. Brasky

benjaminh123

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »
Does anyone use Froglube as a patchlube?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 07:19:26 AM »
Does anyone use Froglube as a patchlube?

I have no idea, but this is a recent thread that generated very extremely low traffic/commentary.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=32638.0
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:21:31 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

benjaminh123

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:48 AM »
Hi Wade,
I have looked at that thread, but, as you said, it was not commented on much

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
As simple as it may sound, I use OxYoke pre lubed, not oiled, patches when shooting competitively, hunting or just plinking. When shooting competitively I wipe between every shot with Mr. Flintlock and one dry patch. At the end of a match I use nothing more than water with a small amount of dish washing detergent to clean with and it only takes 3-4 patches. Once the bore is clean and dry I finish off with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I've never had a rust problem and it is easy to prepare for the next shooting session with a couple of alcohol patches to remove the oil from the bore. I use the same Mobil 1 oil  to wipe down the entire rifle, except the wood.
Mark
Mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
I clean with water, sometimes with a squirt of Dawn.  After drying with patches an alcohol patch goes in and is swabbed out dry again.  WD40 is next.  The following day the bore is wiped out with alcohol again and protected with Barricade.  I leave the WD40 in the bore overnight as it seems to loosen stuff that survived the water cleaning.

Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube and occasionally Mink Oil lube all my patches.  Spit is as good a lube as anything I've used and I used it for years.  I'm now too dry.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

benjaminh123

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
How well does the traditional methods work? Beeswax/oil for lube and rust preventative, boiling water for cleaning? How is the fouling with a beeswax/oil lube?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
I don't know about the beeswax/oil, but I do know that you don't need "boiling" water.
Mark
Mark