Author Topic: Mink Oil Not Bad  (Read 14970 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Mink Oil Not Bad
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
After asking lots of questions about Mink Oil I ordered a tin from TOW.  While Bore Butter made a third loading impossible I get five or six using MO.  This is without wiping the bore which would be done if shooting game in the woods.  And when the bore was wiped there was noticeably less sticky fouling than after three shots using BB; I like MO.  MO is easy to use, convenient, won't rust the bore and gives fine accuracy.  My first load in the woods is normally lubed with BB; but from now on the lube will be MO.  Of course after that first shot it's Hoppes from then on.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
Re: Mink Oil Not Bad
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:01:31 AM »
I've been using Tracks MO for years for all my fall and winter hunting. I've had very good results and no problems at all.

~Tony

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
I tried the Mink Oil, but in our hot summers it tends to be very soft and somewhat messy. I end up looking like I've been working on an old car, with black grease up to my elbows.

I've got one rifle that would not group well with anything other than Bore Butter and it always had the sticky fouling you speak of. I believe it is some sort of a wax that needs hot water to help dissolve it. This is NOT my favorite rifle. :-\

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:58:53 AM »
Pete, I use Hoppes #9 BP lube exclusively at the range, in the woods and most everywhere else.  The only time I don't is during hunting season.  And for this I only use BB, and now Mink Oil for the first load of the day only.  If I don't fire I leave the load in the gun.  MO (or BB) won't rust or dry out and it stays loaded until season's end or I fire at game, whichever comes first.  I actually don't have anything against BB for this purpose except if I fire and have to reload again with it,there's a gummy problem if I forget to wipe.  Hence, Hoppes.  MO does allow (for me at least) two or three additional loads before seating becomes difficult.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »
I used Track's Mink Oil in my .32 Tenn. rifle a couple years back, during the winter and on our trail.  I melted the oil/grease, then dipped the patches in it, getting them saturated, then squeezed out the excess. The patches were very oily handling, but I carried a short towel for wiping the oil from my hands - no problem. As to loading, I was shooting 40gr. GOEX 3F with a .311" ball in the .32 that has grooves 1/2 the width of the lands - polar opposite to what is recommended.

I normally use the WWWF + a bit of Neetsfoot oil. I had run out of that lube and thought I'd give the Mink Oil a try. It was super as to loading and accuracy but seemed to need the extra 5gr. of powder to shoot the same as the water based lube I normally used. I had upped the charge automatically when switching to the oil - it was good guess. Subsequent shooting on paper showed that the increase was necessary. In the .40 and .45 cal. the increase required is 10gr. 3F.

At no time was I the least bit tempted to wipe the bore before reloading afresh. The last ball fired that day - probably between the 55th and 60th loaded easier than the first one had in the clean bore.  Yes - easier. I was using a .0235" railroad ticking patch.  I have a new mould for that rifle, casting a .322" ball in my dead soft lead. I still use the same patch material - loading is just great.  Those little balls conform to the patch and bore with very little pressure.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:08:06 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dan

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
When I took the plunge on PRB shooting I picked up a can of MO. Don't shoot that much at paper, so it will likely last the rest of my life. It does well and I have no thought of trying alternatives.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:27:47 AM »
I use MO in cool to cold weather.  Just is too runny for me when hot.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline redheart

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »
Standing Bear,
What do you use for hot weather?

4ster

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »
On Track of the Wolf's mink oil page they mention mixing it with bees wax in warm weather.

leadslinger62

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
   I just opened my new Tin of Mink Oil, from TOW. I noticed that my old almost used up Tin of it was an almost White color and the new stuff was a Brownish Color. Seems to work ok  but just wondering if they had changed the Formula ??

Online Leatherbark

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:15 AM »
It also smells like rotten dung compared to the older whiter kind.  But still works the same.

Bob

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
Standing Bear,
What do you use for hot weather?

Redheart, I shoot at the range using saliva. Have even wet patches w water.

For hunting I still have some lube given me years ago. He passed away shortly afterwards. I also still have some Hodgdons Spit Ball that is for revolvers but I use on occasion on a patch.  Guess I'm gonna mix some bees wax and mink oil this year.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
Spit!  Inexpensive and you never forget to bring it along.  Works great in all weather. Can't beat the cost of shipping either......
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »
Try coconut oil.I have found it to be the best lube i have ever tried.I will not switch back to any thing else .Its not messy, its cheap price wise , no signs of patch burning,the rifles still clean up just the same ,no foul smell,actually no smell at all.and if you get it on your hands just rub it in cause its good for your skin.Well heck I think you can even cook with it ,mix it with bees wax and it would make a good boot grease/leather preservative.  Curt

rfd

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 02:50:34 PM »
mutton tallow (dixie gun works) is what i've been using for patch lube, with good results.

Offline Dewey

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
Spit!  Inexpensive and you never forget to bring it along.  Works great in all weather.

Well SOMEBODY doesn't live in Iowa, LOL !!!

I like the Mink Oil for those Iowa chills.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:30:07 PM by Dewey »

Offline RichG

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 04:57:36 AM »
I've had good luck using TOW mink oil. I've also noticed the new can stinks! my sons 50 cal colrain barrel will shoot 8-9 shots ( 90 gr. 3f)before accuracy goes to pot. plenty of good shooting for hunting purposes. It is messy if you don't pre-lube your patches.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
Spit is out of the question for me as I stay pretty dry from meds I'm taking.  Otherwise I have to agree spit is one of the very best. 

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »
For several years now I have used TMO and bear lard, 2/3 MO and 1/3 BL. It really is slickery, seems to saturate the patches better for me but is kinda messy so I do as Daryl and bring a small towel along when hunting. I use teflon patching in my paper punching guns.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 02:08:39 AM »
 I use spit patch if I am out hunting, mink oil if the rifle is going to be left loaded for a period, (my ongoing war with the crow and rabbit in the garden) It does have a sour smell, and is a sort of light yellow colour. 

Cheers
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
Try coconut oil.I have found it to be the best lube i have ever tried.I will not switch back to any thing else .Its not messy, its cheap price wise , no signs of patch burning,the rifles still clean up just the same ,no foul smell,actually no smell at all.and if you get it on your hands just rub it in cause its good for your skin.Well heck I think you can even cook with it ,mix it with bees wax and it would make a good boot grease/leather preservative.  Curt
Curt,
I'd like to know how you apply coconut oil to your patch material. Being down here in Florida...shooting with coconut oil seems kinda "appropriate"  ::) I'd like to figure out how to get it done without too much of a mess.
I got some and gave it a try yesterday...Sure enough..no smell, no patch burning, and my hands got a REAL good treatment as I would up with the stuff all over the place...!!!
Thanks.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
Don  I just cut strips of patch tickin in long strips and swipe them across the small jar of coconut oil and work it in the patch and then cut at the muzzle .I use the 76 degree melt oil .They make it in 96 degree melt i think so its still semi solid but it does melt fast if you work at it .I have not tried it in cold wheather yet so i cant say how that will go but Im not too worried about it either.I hope it works for you as well as it has for me .  Curt