Author Topic: Oily rags  (Read 8348 times)

Online Nordnecker

Oily rags
« on: June 28, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
I've heard a lot of horror stories over the years of fires being started by oily rags. Linseed oil seems to be the worst culprit. My Dad kept his gun cleaning rag in an old cardboard box for many years without an incident. I keep mine in a glass jar with a lid. The idea being it is sealed up and can't get any more oxygen than what is in the jar. The oil on my rags is mostly WD-40, 3 in one, Rem oil, maybe some Hoppe's. I've been using these same rags for at least 20 yrs.
Do you guys keep your gun rags? Is this safe?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline BJH

Re: Oily rags
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »
Sounds reasonable to me, better might be to purchase a new empty metal paint can at Sherman Williams or similar store. You just set the lid on instead of tamping it down. I don't like glass in my shop, I'm too dang clumsy. BJH
BJH

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
I don't like glass in my shop, I'm too dang clumsy. BJH
I hear you on that one BJ.  I had a one gallon glass jar full of quenching oil in my shop for years.  Every time I pulled it off the shelf to use my pucker factor needle pegged.  Finally change over to a one gallon paint can BEFORE the big one happened, which is usually not my mod of operation.  As I get older I have been more proactive than reactive.  :D
David 

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »
Nordnecker; Sir, Glass jars and me in my shop, better explained as  "me and a broom, dust pan", - band-aid -.  I'm old enough to have heard about oilely rag fires over the years. Old paint cans in my shop. Have a great week end. AJ.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:32:21 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »
I think the "oliy rag" fire thing is with oil paint products of the past :-\. Don't get me wrong it is still a hazard to be reconed with but not with WD 40 or other gun oil products or the lable would have stated so. I keep a WD 40 damp rag (6" X 12") in a sandwitch bag in my safe have been doing that since I had a safe which was back in 1971. Do a Google search to see what they have to say ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline JBJ

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:26 PM »
Frankly, I am not comfortable storing oily rags, regardless of the oil used. Even if the risk in minimal, the tradeoff of saving a two cent rag and a potential problem versus prompt disposal is a nonstarter for me. I simply take them outside and burn them. It is hard to imagine the anguish associated with a house/shop fire and the aftermath. I hope all of us are spared that horror.
J.B.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »
The local garbage transfer station has had two major fires in the last year. Spontanious combustion has been blamed, but the source of the oil causing the fires remains a mystery. I suspect organic flaxseed oil from the health food store is the culprit. Most folks today don't use linseed oil, and have no clue that flaxseed oil is just the food grade version.
 Flaxseed oil is the absolute best oil for seasoning cast iron cookware. if you sand the inside of a cast iron skillet and treat it with flaxseed oil a couple if times, it will be like Teflon, only better.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
I throw them in the wood stove in my shop. I keep a board in there to store them on in the summer. If they don't catch fire, I get to use them again.  If they do….well, no big deal  ;D   So far,  no fires.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
I don't know about the rest of the materials mentioned, but linseed oil tainted rags get burned right after I'm done with them. I picked one up from the floor that was already hot, and I mean hot! that was thirty or more years ago and I take no chances with it. Even a paper towel that I wipe my hands with goes out the door and is burned.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 04:53:54 AM »
Take no chances with oily rags. There is a reason old shops had metal rag cans with self closing lids.  I'm a thirty plus year volunteer firefighter (twenty as a chief officer).  We had several house fires originating from people refinishing furniture, plus a new build home, all tied to the oiled rags left in a pile.

I heard tale of a drug store that had a spill of some type of cooking oil which was cleaned up using kitty litter and paper towels.  This was then placed in a cardboard box and left in the stock room.  The cardboard box and rags were smoldering when they discovered their mistake.
Kunk

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:31:02 AM »
I use to save oily rags inside sealed baggies but no more.  Rags that I use over and over are relatively dry and if I oil them I toss them afterwards.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:01:25 PM »
Linseed oil soaked rags can spontaneously combust.  As he oil polymerizes it can get very hot, hot enough to burst into flame.   Jack London's dream home, Wolf House, in Northem California, burned to the ground this way, during the final stages of construction.  He died shortly after.  It is a very sad story. 

It has nothing to do with your rag for wiping down your guns.  Linseed oil rags are another matter.  I store them in the BBQ until dry then transfer them to the trash on trash pick up day. 

Petroleum oil does not polymerize and does not cause rags to burst into flame.  Keeping an oily rag around to wipe down your guns is perfectly safe, and a good idea.   I keep such a rag in the safe. It has some ATF and marvel mystery oil on it.   It is inside a little tupperware.  After I handle a guns it gets a wipe down.  No rusty finger prints and a minty fresh smell.  : ).   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
Exactly.  It's the Linseed oil rags that are the problem.

Petrol and products have their own issues, but it's not one of spontaneity.  Lord knows I've lived around piles and piles of engine/ATF/gear/ oil and all those other automotive (and machining) fluids soaked into rags and they all get thrown into a bin and it's never ever a problem-without an outside source of spark or heat.

Wood finishing oils...whole 'nuther ball game.  They can be organically "active" just like the hay that can and has burned down lots of barns and compost piles that have been used to heat homes in Germany.  No "input" needed for these things stored improperly.

My woodstove gobbles 'em up from my shop.  Whether it's lit or unlit, is a safe place to dispose of them permanently.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:35:58 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 07:31:43 AM »
There are a lot of resources online to learn about the hazards of spontaneous combustion.  Better safe than sorry.  Proper storage of rags is a good starting point.

I have had the opportunity to investigate fires professionally. In my professional experience I have witnessed the results of 3 spontaneous combustion fires.  I have noticed a commonality between actual ignitions I have investigated and other case studies. In each case I have seen, the volume of rags is significant, and specifically, large enough to generate and TRAP heat. Two of the cases involved large uncovered containers full of rags soaked in a fence stain product at fencing companies with lackadaisical employees.

In the first case, employee statements and and physical evidence at the scene pointed to spontaneous combustion as the cause (no accidental ignition sources in area, area of origin was pile of rags in a trash can).   In the second the employee statement was similar, but the can was left in the bed of a truck full of tools and fencing materials. The truck was parked in a secure yard, with video surveillance. A review of video showed approximately a 3 hour delay between parking and smoke visible from can. Another hour or so and it ignited, burning the truck completely in the process.

The last case surprised me thoroughly but I believe it was spontaneous combustion.  A local BBQ restaurant owner's car burned in their driveway in the mid afternoon.  The area of origin was outside the car, in a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of white cotton towels. The towels ignited and started plastic components of the vehicle, spreading across most of the vehicle.  The towels were heavily charred.  Statements were that the rags were used for cleaning in the restaurant. More rags were at the home but unburned.  They were all soaked in animal fat, but devoid of moisture/water.  The owner said many rags were damp with cleaning solution and many rags were completely soaked in animal fat.   Before collecting rags into a bag or bucket they are dried on a rack to prevent mildew before laundering.  On the week in question the rags were dried outside in 100 degree heat with very low humidity, leaving them very dry besides fats. They were then collected into buckets.  

One bucket was left outside the car to be taken to the laundry (they still smell and the owner had a reasonably nice car).  The temperature outside was 105. They were in the direct sun for approximately 5 hours before ignition.  

In any case, don't leave piles of linseed rags laying about. They can self heat and spontaneously combust. I think it is unlikely if it's one rag, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Keith.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:56:21 PM by Keithbatt »

Offline Skychief

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:09:10 PM »
A friend of mine was near completion of his first muzzleloader build when he had a fire in his workshop/garage.  It was contained to a small area in the wee hours of the morning as his son smelled smoke and luckily investigated.

The fire was traced to linseed oiled rags that were thrown into a waste container with no lid.

Gruxxx

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 02:02:56 AM »
I use flannel cleaning patches to oil / wipe down my guns and pitch them in the woodstove right after.