Author Topic: Rudi Bahr Personal Collection at Auction  (Read 9653 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Rudi Bahr Personal Collection at Auction
« on: July 03, 2015, 03:11:49 AM »
Many know Rudi and I understand he has moved to a supportive environment. His personal, collection, known particularly for "powder horns" will be auctioned on July 11. We wish him well.
The Museum Committee

Life-Long Collection of Rudolf “Rudi” Bahr

480 Pictures on www.laughlinauctions.com

J. P. BECK LONG RIFLE: Signed 18th Century “J. P. Beck” Pennsylvania flint lock long rifle, wooden patch box, relief carved. (John Philip Beck, Lebanon Township, Dauphin County, PA 1752-1811). (Offered at 12:00 P.M.)

READING LONG RIFLES: 18th Century “Reading School” Pennsylvania long rifle, relief carved, flint lock (this rifle was featured in “Rifles of Colonial America” by George Shumway); Early 19th Century “Reading School” Pennsylvania long rifle, original flint lock, 1807 date on brass patch box. (Offered after Beck rifle)

RUDI’S RIFLES: 4- Exceptional reproduction long rifles hand crafted by Rudi Bahr, relief carved, brass patch boxes, inlay, flint locks. (Offered after Reading rifles) PIPE TOMAHAWK COLLECTION: 19- Exceptional 18th & Early 19th Century Pipe Tomahawks, majority w/ brass, silver, pewter & bone inlay in blades & hafts. (Offered at 10:00 a.m. by catalog)

SPIKE TOMAHAWKS: 11- 18th century/early 19th century spike tomahawks; Also, 2- 18th century pole axes, 18th century “bag ax”; early 19th century “Rifleman’s” knife w/ 11’’ blade.

POWDER HORN COLLECTION: 41- 18th Century & Early 19th Century Bottle Nose & Screw Tip powder horns, vast majority w/ scrimshaw, names & dates. (Offered by catalog following Spike Tomahawks at approximately 11:00 a.m.)

*Full Woodworking Shop of Rudi Bahr – Great Selection of Handcrafted Furniture by Rudi Bahr – Smalls, Stoneware, Glassware & Household Furnishings from the Home of Rudi Bahr*

Seller: Barbara Neff, Attorney-in-Fact for Rudolf Paul Bahr

www.laughlinauctions.com or www.auctionzip.com

TERMS: Cash or check w/2 IDs. MasterCard & Visa Accepted (3% Buyers Premium waived on all cash & check purchases)

Laughlin Auctions Inc. – Va. Lic. #000136
P.O. Box 2, Woodstock, VA.
540-984-8080 • 540-975-1830 • 540-325-2059
Announcements on day of sale take precedence over printed matter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:12:48 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Molly

Re: Rudi Bahr Personal Collection at Auction
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
Sure would like to attend.  This would be a great opportunity for some of the experts to offer their projection of sale prices.  Any takers?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Molly,
Offering up values based on written descriptions is pretty risky business, especially on high end items.
Mark
Mark

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Of course it is.  But there are photos if you follow the link.  And yes, even that is "risky".  But it seems to happen all the time and I was just thinking maybe someone would like to make a guess.

And does not the use of "high end" imply some aspect of valuation?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:54:47 PM by Molly »

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »
HUMMMmm

A few 100 views since the question and no takers.  I find that interesting. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »
HUMMMmm

A few 100 views since the question and no takers.  I find that interesting. 

I find it respectful of Mr. Bahr and his family.  If one guesses high numbers, then he may "run off" potential bidders, if he guesses low numbers he may inhibit bidding with improper valuation.  Either way is a no-win for the person "remote appraising" and could very well be a disservice to the family and Mr. Bahr.

There is no shame in bidding what you feel is appropriate and not getting the gavel.

I wish Mr. Bahr and family the best.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:01:59 PM »
Now I never remotely considered that.  Presale estimates are quite common however and it seems to me they tend to serve the best interest of all rather than work against the seller.  Consider the KRA sale of last year and this year.  No hesitation there and retrospectively I wonder if the estimates had any real impact on the sale price??

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 12:58:23 AM »
Many pre-sale estimates are done by knowledgeable individuals at the auction house with the guns in hand, and access to other experts if they feel an item raises some question. The KRA auction had a couple of members familiar with Jack Vye's collection do the photography and physically inspect and appraise each rifle. That's a big difference...setting pre-sale estimates from handling and inspecting known guns...to guessing at values based on a couple of photographs. Shelby Gallien

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
Yes, more reasons I suppose.  The original rifles seem well defined however and the photos are very good.  Naturally "in person" is better but I see all sorts of critiques offered on other auctions, gunbroker, for example.  Just thought it would be a good opportunity for some forum experts to weigh in.  Anyone planning on attending?

• Library_mod
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
With proper respect to all who read this, my personal efforts as well as those of many others over the years have been to broaden the membership of our rather small fraternity who passionately  pursue the history and art of the Kentucky Rifle and its accouterments. This thread was offered in that vane as well: to give those who would want or hope to be the next stewards of  some fine and cherrished American artifacts, information and access.   Thus, hoping to reach many who would not otherwise have access to such a group of treasures and to pay respect to Rudi who spent much of his active career in the pursuit and preservation of Kentucky Rifles and horns, I posted this. As well he became a fine contemporary artisan. Most who read this are now carrying Medicare cards and all should personally reflect upon their own future situations and collections  by treating and speaking of this opportunity and others to follow , as the KRA  did with Jack Vye ‘s collection,  in the same manner that they would wish theirs to be addressed in the future.

PLEASE  REMEMBER THAT RUDI , HIS FAMILY MEMBERS AND MANY FRIENDS MAYBE IN THIS AUDIENCE,
HURRICANE
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:51:56 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

• Library_mod
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
Surprising: The J. P. Beck sold for $15,100.  The "Reading"  for $8,600.  I recorded most of the prices realized and would be happy to send them to individuals upon request related to a specific item or 2.   Will need the auction # as shown in pictures. Seems Pipehawks did well, spike tomahawks as well.  Carved Horns not so well; screws tips between $600-$1000.00
Hurricane

Offline debnal

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 12:58:49 AM »
I am very, very surprised at the seemingly low price of those two rifles. Any explanations?
Al

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
I am very very interested in knowing what you two thought they would bring.  But it's really pretty simple to explain.  It's what they were worth....
at that place on that day given the condition.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »
I am very very interested in knowing what you two thought they would bring.  But it's really pretty simple to explain.  It's what they were worth....
at that place on that day given the condition.
And the buyers in attendance.  It only takes one other person to drastically change the outcome of any piece at action.

I've been that person and I've been against that person.  Not with items of this caliber, but the fact is the same. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
Does anyone know what the Rifleman's knife ST-13 sold for?
Thanks, John
John Robbins