Author Topic: 3RD Model Brown Bess HELP!!!! Ref cleaning stock  (Read 5995 times)

cheyenne

3RD Model Brown Bess HELP!!!! Ref cleaning stock
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
Just got a nice 3rd model pattern musket.....Lock is marked Ramsey & Southerland, .75....missing both swivels, but what I need help with is the stock, it's not broke, but is covered in a black grime.....dirt/smoke....this gun came out of a lot my boss bought and we cleaned up some of the others, but looking for a less aggressive way to clean this stock as there are some cartouches visible under the black grime....want to save them....there are areas that show a nice red color to the wood, but the butt is mostly black....and it is a build up of something.

Anyone have a nice gentile way to clean a stock?

longrifle

Re: 3RD Model Brown Bess HELP!!!! Ref cleaning stock
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:29:51 AM »
Can you post some photos to see what it looks like

wet willy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 06:07:48 AM »
Helpful info on Smithsonian's website on preserving wood furniture that is applicable to a gunstock.

If you want to preserve whatever is underneath, start with the most benign method: water & a cloth & a toothbrush.

As you say, it may be the grime on the surface is soot from a wood fireplace, or ammonia from being stored in a barn, or years-ago attempt with linseed oil refinish, or wax. You may never get rid of the gunk on the stock, and there is a point where you should say "good enough."  You may still see the cartouches, but imperfectly.

Abrasives, like steel wool, or chemicals like oven cleaner or paint stripper, will likely remove the gunk along with any original finish, leaving a stock that looks newly cleaned and distinctly not original.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »
 Examine it very closely. I work with the county museum where I live, and heard a story from the curator about a military musket that was "all cleaned up" and had all the black crud scrubbed off. Only to find out later it was a sea service musket, and the "crud" was the black paint that was the original finish.

Hungry horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:18 PM »
Can you post some photos to see what it looks like

I volunteer to post photos for you if you cannot decipher the remote hosting process used here-a common stumbling block.

Send to email listed at profile.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:47:04 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:22 AM »
I once owned a 3rd model, picked up on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake bay. It had remnants of a red stain or dye. I'd make sure to keep that red.

Gentle is good.

cheyenne

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:02 AM »
Appreciate the help so far....will try to post photos or send them to Wade but it'll be Tuesday before I can. I'm not worried about it being a Sea Service.....Lock is Marked Ramsey Sutherland

cheyenne

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:31 AM »
That is not my musket, but it is the same lock

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
 Sea service muskets were not all produced for government use. Many were produce commercially for to anybody that had money, and ships at sea. Sutherland was a producer of early trade guns, which may or may not have been sold under government contract.

Hungry Horse             

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:21:26 AM »
One of the tried and true ways of removing old grime is a liberal application of Brasso and paper towels. No hard scrubbing, just a light wiping. Both Shumway and Kindig advocated this method to remove the black grime and preserve the patina.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »
I've cleaned up some "old stuff" over the years...things I wanted to be gentle with, but nothing quite so special as an original Bess. For that reason, I'm posing this here more as a question to the more knowledgeable folks than a recommendation based on experience.
For that grimy wood...how about a Murphy's Oil Soap solution with a combination of wiping cloth, sponge, and toothbrush...???

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
 ???

Did you guys read through this one? http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=35951.0

John
John Robbins