Author Topic: Anyone know who made this rifle? Signed "W. H." or possibly "H. M."  (Read 10228 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
This probably was made in the 1960's. It has an engraved Shoults flintlock (discussed here http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=36399.0#bot ).

It appears to be well made in the style of Leonard Reedy. I have not pulled the 45 caliber barrel to see if it is marked, probably will later. I don't believe its been fired or if so, only a few times.

Below you can see the barrel signature turned 180 degrees. If viewed from the side plate side, it reads W. H. but if viewed from the Lock side it reads H. M.

Would love to know who made this rifle.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Majorjoel

Just from the curls in the letters and the . after the W I would say it is signed W. H.  I kind of wonder if it is one of Wayne Heckerts early builds??  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:00:03 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Bob Roller

Dennis,
For what it may mean,Chet Shoults lived in Lapeer,Michigan when he did his lock work.
I never heard of him making rifles but he might have.I've made about 10 and nobody
ever heard of me as a gun maker.Also 3 pistols.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:03:08 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline heelerau

Mate looks to have a lot of bits in common with my  1960 rifle, lock, trigger guard, rammrod pipes, even the quality of carving. Hopefully the lock is better that the one mine had, that I replaced.  Yours is a lovely rifle !

Cheers

Heelerau
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Dennis,
Have you had the chance to shoot it yet?
Buck

Offline whitebear

With the way that the letters are formed I would say that it is W. H.  The way that the letters are shaped are more natural for WH than for HW.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Dennis,
Have you had the chance to shoot it yet?
Buck
No I havn't had time nor has it been fit weather. Either pouring down rain or 100 degrees with 99.9999 percent humidity ;D I am a fair weather shooter, maybe later this fall I will take it out.

Plus I need to work on the trigger bar clearance. Right now the rifle can not be cocked without setting the triggers and I hate that!

With the way that the letters are formed I would say that it is W. H.
Whitebear, I agree and view that way the "periods" behind the initials are in the correct position.

Dennis
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:28:53 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Wow, that is a beautiful rifle.  I agree, it looks like W. H.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Don Steele

Sorry Dennis,
I have NO idea who the builder is, but I do agree upon reflection that the initials should be read W.H.
As pointed out, the positioning of the "periods", and I believe that most are signed in such a manner that the signature, or initials are read "upright" when the rifle is held by the shooter in a "Port Arms" position.

Sure is a lot of good work there...hope it shoots well for you.
Thanks for sharing.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Wayne Holcombe? I don't know him but the initials are right.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)