Author Topic: Jack Brooks Deringer Trade Rifle and Old Bill Williams  (Read 18257 times)

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
Jack Brooks Deringer Trade Rifle and Old Bill Williams
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:40:40 AM »
The Rifle

Here are some pictures of my new-to-me Henry Deringer Trade Rifle built by Jack Brooks.

The rifle has a Getz barrel with a custom swamp profile to match originals.  The barrel is 42 inches long and .54 caliber.  The lock is one of R. E. Davis’ “Contract Rifle” flintlocks with a single throated cock.  The tail of the lock plate has been modified in a fashion common on trade rifles of the early 19th century.  The brass butt plate and trigger guard are Brooks’ own castings.  The stock is plain maple that has been artificially striped.  The stock is also decorated with antique brass tacks in the fashion popular with Indians and some white fur trappers.

The stock and all the metal parts have been “aged” to mimic the patina that might be found on a rifle that is more than 150 years old.  Faux aging is a popular trend among contemporary muzzleloader builders.  Even though it is “pleasing to the eye”, I find the faux aging on the metal parts is often inconsistent with the condition and finish of the wood.   Much of it appears to me to be an expression of the builder’s art form and not necessarily meant to make the rifle look like an antique.  A friend pointed out to me that Brooks’ treatment of this rifle is not faux aging, but rather accelerated aging.  The stock is dented, scratched, and even has a small crack on the forearm consistent with years of regular use.

If not for J. S. Brooks stamps on the lock and the top flat of the barrel, one might mistake the rifle for an original antique.

Jack even removed the head of one of the tacks on the forearm to further the illusion of an antique.

Background on Deringer’s Trade Rifles

Henry Deringer is best known today for his small pocket pistols which are popularly known as “Derringers”.  Early in his career, he built military arms, both pistols and long arms, for the US government and many state militias.  In 1809, he received his first contract with the US Office of Indian Trade for trade rifles.  Before long, he was the primary supplier of rifles to the Indian Trade Office for the government-owned trading posts, or factories.

The US government factory system was created in 1796 and continued to 1822.  Several factories were set up in the South to trade with the Creek, Cherokee, Choctaw, and Chickasaw tribes.  Others were established in the Great Lakes region and along the Mississippi River.  The western most factory was Fort Osage (1808-1822) near present day Sibley, Missouri.  George Moller in American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol. II, notes that Deringer trade rifles were sent to Prairie Du Chien, Council Bluffs, Fort Osage, and St. Louis as early as 1815.

Deringer’s trade rifles varied in details.  Some had a pronounced curve or Roman nose in the comb of the butt stock.  Others only had a slight curve.  Deringer’s signature patch box had an eagle’s head shaped finial.  Some were larger and a more literal representation of an eagle’s form while others were smaller and more stylistic.  He also used a patch box with a “ghost” form on the finial.  Some fancy, and possibly later rifles, have elaborate patch boxes such as engraved daisy patterns and commercial boxes from suppliers like Tryon.  The fancier rifles were obviously built for the Eastern market.  His trade rifles usually had either a Lancaster style side plate or a military style side plate.  Most of his trade rifles were plain with little or no engraving or decorative touches.  Some “Fine Rifles” were ordered by the Office of Indian Trade.  It’s likely that these had some level of engraving, cheek and thumb piece inlays, and decorative stamps or engraving on the flats of the barrel and muzzle.

Surviving correspondence between the contractors and clients for trade rifles and military long arms shows that obtaining a sufficient quantity of locks was a common problem.

Some Deringer trade rifles have military style locks that are also seen on his rifles built for state militias while others have sporting locks—a few were obviously imported from England.

Jack Brooks chose the military style lock for his Deringer trade rifle similar to these locks on Deringer rifles procured by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (from Moller)

The Rifle Shop offers a sporting style Deringer lock.

Enter Bill Williams (from Old Bill Williams: Mountain Man by Alpheus H. Favour)

Bill Williams was born on January 3, 1787 in Rutherford County, North Carolina.  In 1794, his father sold his holdings in North Carolina and packed up the family and moved west.  Reaching the Mississippi River opposite St. Louis, they crossed over into Spanish territory and received permission from local Spanish authorities to farm a tract of land about twelve miles northwest of St. Louis.  This was Osage country, and Williams’ playmates while growing up were often Osage children.

Williams was raised in a religious family.  The year that the Louisiana Purchase was completed, Williams left home and became an itinerant preacher.  For five years, he traveled the sparsely settled country preaching to the white settlers.  Family tradition has it that some event caused him to give up preaching for a while, and he left the white settlements to go to his childhood friends, the Osage Indians, as a missionary.  The Osage were more successful in converting him to their way of life than he was in converting them to Christianity.  He became a member of the tribe and ultimately took an Indian wife.  Even before he joined the Osage tribe, he had become a skilled hunter and trapper as a means to supplement his income as a preacher.  Life with the Osage allowed him to hone these skills further as well as learn the Osage language and the sign language that was used by many plains Indians.

Williams knowledge of the Osage language made him a natural asset to government agents that sought him out to act as an interpreter for them.  In 1817, he was hired as the official interpreter at Fort Osage.  His duties as interpreter did not occupy him fulltime, and he continued to trap and trade on his own account.  When the government factory system was dissolved in 1822, he took up trapping and trading full time while still living with the Osage.

By 1825, two seminal events occurred to change the direction of Bill Williams' life.  His Osage wife died and a new treaty was negotiated with the Osage Indians to give up their claims to all the land in Missouri.  When an opportunity presented itself for Williams to join a government survey party to map the route to Santa Fe, Williams eagerly joined up as a guide and interpreter.  The survey party reached Taos on November 30, 1825.  Williams ended his services with the survey party there in Taos while the leaders of the party continued on to Santa Fe to meet and negotiate with Mexican authorities.  Upon reaching Taos, Bill Williams entered the next phase of his life as a true mountain man.

During the fifteen or so years that Williams lived with the Osage and worked at the Fort Osage factory, he invariably became acquainted with Henry Deringer’s trade rifles, and in all likelihood, used one or more during his hunting and trapping excursions.  It would be fitting with his stature with the tribe and consistent with his level of income that he could afford one of Deringer’s “Fine Rifles” with engraving and silver inlays such as the Jack Brooks rifle pictured above.  We have no record of what make of rifle Williams used, and other trade rifles by different makers such as John Joseph Henry, Peter Gonter, Christopher Gumpf, and Jacob Dickert would have been available to Bill Williams in St. Louis, but his association with the government factory system makes it more likely that he would have used a Deringer rifle as the Office of Indian Trade was purchasing rifles almost exclusively from Deringer in the years leading up to 1822.

It’s fun to imagine that Old Bill Williams carried a rifle just like the Jack Brooks trade rifle on his trip to Taos and the start of his life in the Rocky Mountains.

Needless to say, I’ve named my Jack Brooks rifle “Old Bill”.

Phil Meek
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:35:56 PM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

nosrettap1958

Re: Jack Brooks Deringer Trade Rifle and Old Bill Williams
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »
I like your reasoning and your line of thought as to the rifle he would have carried and agree wholeheartedly. I also like your rifle.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
An interesting story and a very fine rifle you have Phil. Jack is a true artist to detail. Could you expand upon "the government factory system" for me? I have never heard this expression used in context to Indian affairs.  Thank you for your post and sharing that great rifle with us here!           P.S.   Be extremely careful around flintlock rifle's! They can cause a rare form of madness, making you rid yourself of everything that doesn't use a rock to spark ignition!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:33:22 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »
Outstanding rifle.  Believable as Jack's rifles always are.  He has experience and knowledge and technical skill that few attain.  Add to that an artistic eye and the results really speak.  Thanks for the background.  Our rifles are often meant to convey history but that part is sometimes primarily implied.
Andover, Vermont

Offline elk killer

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »
Phil,
thats a great rifle, thanks for sharing it,
way back  Dick Hart built one, thats very close to that, he used the same lock
and if i remember right he used walnut, stained dark,
it had a Bill Large barrel, your lucky to have such a great rifle
Mark
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:38 PM »
A beautiful gun for sure.  the painted curl looks amazing and the aging treatment is really nice.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
Very nice! 

I enjoyed the Read on old Bill.   It was a re read for me but it's been a long time.  I highly recommend the book.
Mike Lee

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:58 PM »
That rifle looks all Bs'ness. I like it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Could you expand upon "the government factory system" for me? I have never heard this expression used in context to Indian affairs.

Majorjoel, the "government factory system" was a series of trading posts that the government set up and operated from 1795 to 1822.  It was created during President Washington's administration with the objective of establishing friendly relations with the various Indians tribes and counter act the influence of foreign nations, primarily England and Spain, over the Indians.  A secondary objective was to provide goods to the Indians at a fair price.  This later was a market intervention or regulatory mechanism to ensure the tribes weren't over charged by private traders.

The head of a trading post was called the Factor.

The Office of Indian Trade was part of the War Department and procured the trade goods for the trading posts.  The trade goods were the typical manufactured items that the Indians desired in trade for their furs such as cloth, metal items--awls, pots, knives, tomahawks, tools, etc.--beads, bells, silver trade items, and guns.  Most of the goods had to be imported from England and other parts of Europe.  Smoothbore guns were typical Northwest Trade guns and fowlers from England.  Rifles were more often American made trade rifles from Pennsylvania--Lancaster and Philadelphia.

In the early years, rifles were purchased from Jacob Dickert, Henry DeHuff, George Miller, John Bender, Christopher Gumpf, Peter Gonter, Jonathan Guest, Joseph Henry, John Miles, Frederick Goetz, and Henry Pickel.  From 1811 through the early 1830's, the government almost exclusively bought rifles from Henry Deringer.  A review of government records by Moller and others indicated that Deringer produced at least 9,964 rifles for the government between 1809 and 1844.

Below is a map showing the location of the many "factories" or trading posts and the years they operated in parentheses.

As can be seen by the map, the whole frontier from the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi (and up its major tributaries), and across the South was covered by the factory system.

Not all of these factories received Deringer rifles, either due to timing or the fact that the customers preferred NW trade guns over rifles, but his rifles still received wide distribution.

After the factory system was disbanded in 1822, the government continued to procure rifles from Deringer through the Bureau of Indian Affairs for treaty gifts and annuity payments.  Many of these went to the Indians that were relocated from the east to Indian Terrritory (now part of Oklahoma).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:56:54 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 01:48:36 AM »
I would like to read a good book about this period and government factory system.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:49:14 AM by crawdad »

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »
Crawdad,

The only book I've seen on the US Factory System is this one.

A History Of The United States Indian Factory System, 1795-1822
by Ora Brooks Peake

I found it on Amazon. 
Phil Meek

nosrettap1958

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:38:19 AM »
Thanks Phil!!!

Is that a good place to start or should I read more about the Factors?

BUT, most importantly, how does your rifle shoot?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:39:54 AM by crawdad »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks Phil for the OAH.

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Phil,

Once again you have authenticity first! Kudos! Rifle looks like it belongs to genuine history and Jack's rendition looks flawless to me. Your research of the Indian Trading Houses matches perfectly with Derringer as the major rifle supplier to those early posts.

Thanks for posting.

Ray

kaintuck

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 07:30:05 PM »
I HEARD Jack IS a antique......so therefore~so are his riffles~~~ ;D :D

nice ageing.....I am still working out my technique's~~~I like the screw head boogering~ it always hurts to ON PURPOSE reef them heads!!!

then there's the beating of the nice wood.........my wife keeps saying I'm crazy for ageing a rifle..........but it just 'feels right' when corners are rounded, and the metal has some 'grain' to it!!!

marc n tomtom

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
Thank you Phil for filling me in on the details regarding the gov't factory system. This has been a very fascinating thread and a very fine contemporary early fur trade rifle you have!
Joel Hall

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 09:29:21 PM »
One of the things that really impresses me the most is seeing how a skilled builder is able to capture the time period. The original guys had a fast and masterful style to what they did because they had to eat, depended on sunlight, and they had a lot of other responsibilities. I see the entry pipe is very skillfully achieved but it doesn't look like Brooks spent a month under a microscope with it, I can see some original master from the era grabbing that pipe from an apprentice saying "this'll do" touching it up for a minute and then moving on.

It puzzles me how these contemporary masters are able to achieve that fast and efficient style without it looking sloppy. How they are able to refine it enough to capture the spirit without overdoing it and refining the rustic appeal out of it. And then apply that to the entire rifle, showing restraint where restraint is due, and embellishment where that is appropriate.

A really stunning piece.         

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 02:26:44 AM »
Jack makes some really nice trade rifles and guns. He used to have a Leman rifle kit  that I really wanted but never got around too. To many projects and not enough time.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »
Very nice rifle. Beautiful. Not sure how true the legend is but didn’t ole Bill call his
“Kicking Betsy” or something like that?
Tim A.
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 05:12:53 AM »
Henry Deringer built thousands of "trade rifles" through his career, and Jack Brooks has really done him proud with this iteration.  Congrats of getting a really fine Deringer rifle.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.