Author Topic: Total greenhorn question, but here goes...  (Read 14230 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: Total greenhorn question, but here goes...
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 02:56:30 AM »
Supposedly you can use pliers to knap a fresh sharp edge. You just nip the edge and the result is a sharp blade.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 05:14:59 AM »
I use the bottom of the frizzen, most times.  Let the cock down until the bottom of the frizzen is in contact, then push dodwn on the frizzen - Englihs flints are easily knapped this way - not so the river rocks as they are way harder.- bot if only a small round spot is bothering the spark, it can generally be chipped off usng the bottom of the frizzen - sometimes on Rich's flints, always with English flints. Rich's flints spark better for me, though.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Molly

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 05:21:58 AM »
"A knapped flint will be sharper than any filed edge flint."

Sorry Bob.  I have some fresh knapped ones and some I reworked today.  I don't know if the ones I reworked are as good for shooting as the knapped ones but they are much much sharper.  I think part of the dilemma with the diamond "file" is to keep from creating a bevel within the edge.  Maybe some photos will help explain that. But I'm telling you the sharpness of the filed flints blows away the sharpness of the knapped ones.  As a matter of fact I think the edge is so sharp and fine that it will chip off as it used for shooting.

I have also tried pliers, snippers, pinchers etc and it did not work for me.  But it's just sort of a fun sideline.  I still think I prefer the old hand knapper flints.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
Under electron microscope a properly knapped flint is shown to be one molecule wide. Way beyond the best edge of a surgeon's scalpel.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
Molly - don't think so.  Flint, chert and obsidian all flake to a molecular edge - sharper 'points' than can be accomplished by filing. Not to say your "filed" flints are not sharp.  The knapped, but rough/serrated edge of a knapped flint will scrape steel to incandescent heat better than a filed edge simply because of the lower coefficient of friction compared to the longer smooth surface, I think.

I attempted to make some 'emergency' flints from Tungsten Carbide but the best I got was dull red sparks. They were SHARP, felt incredibly sharp, but failed miserably on the frizzen, in comparison to flint or chert.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Molly

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:10 AM »
OK, my electron microscope is busted so I'll take your word.  I guess I am thinking that the consistency (uniformity??) of a filed edge is in total going to be "sharper" than a knapped edge.  Cannot believe one can achieve a single molecule thickness over the total width of the edge.  Come to think of it most that I see show a depth of thickness in some small lengths along the edge.

But then I see my flints flake and break off in small bits over time so I doubt one really want that kind of edge.  Beats me.  When the electron microscope gets fixed I'll take a look!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »
Well, their is another alternative to the EMS, experience. It requires time and introspection, some people spend a life time in its pursuit and never find it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
Just a little factoid... one who sharpens his flints by skinning them back till they are nubs would have been known as a skinflint...too frugal to use a new flint!
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 08:17:14 PM »
Pliers work fine, while at home sipping a cold one! It does take time to get the hang of it, but who's in a hurry??

A small knapping hammer while hunting works as well.

~Tony