Author Topic: Transitional NC Rifle  (Read 5439 times)

Offline wildcatter

Transitional NC Rifle
« on: July 25, 2015, 05:03:06 AM »
 Since I have a little time before my season starts, I thought I would throw this rifle up for some thoughts. I think it is a transitional rifle between the Piedmont and Appalachian areas of NC but not sure and welcome all comments.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:36:10 PM by wildcatter »
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: Transitional NC Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:19:53 AM »
Wildcatter, that is an interesting rifle. It would be nice to have better lighted photos. And that is not intended to be a criticism as I fully appreciate how difficult that is to achieve. As a very amateur photographer with no lighting equipment, I have found that shooting outside on an overcast day when there is good light but no glare, and placing the rifle on a non-glare white or neutral background can produce good results. Based on what I can see from your photographs, I think that you may well have the right area of origin in mind. As I said - very interesting.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:21:07 AM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:28:11 AM »
Wayne,

I appreciate you taking a look. I will post better pictures tomorrow, during daylight. The rifle is unsigned and hopefully with some better pictures we can narrow down some characteristics on it. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:15:42 AM »
Great rifle you've found Wildcatter.  Good luck in your quest to identify it.  Thanks for sharing it with us.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
Thanks Rob. I posted some better pictures this morning hopefully this will help see it better.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:15:23 AM »
Very nice rifle.   

I have Kaufman's book on PA/KY rifles, but what are the attributes of a NC rifle?

Just curious how wildcatter can determine not just a NC rifle, but a specific area in NC, as well.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:54:45 AM »
Stock Architecture, Iron Furniture, the shape of the trigger guard and triggers, and the patchbox. It's a nice rifle.
Buck

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:21 AM »
The shape of the cheek piece is reminiscent of Rowan County, NC.  Wildcater, is the area above the cheek piece flat or slightly concave?
Wayne Elliott

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
Some features suggest even East Tennessee might also be considered as an option. The position of the cheek piece, for one, and the squarish profile of the nose of the comb, along with the length of the bp extension and the shape of the toe line.  The proportion of tg bow to rail is reminiscent of primarily sw va. but has also been attributed to e. Tn.  The spur looks odd as if truncated from a longer, possibly recurved one.  Then there is the pin placement: while the rear pin is behind the entry, the foremost pin is close to the nosecap.  The two screws in the tg are also intriguing, as well as the shortened front extension on the tg.  The profile of the wrist in height almost suggest sw va. again, but its length is not compatible.  The tang is almost a hybrid of the NC two screw tang and the longer 3 screw tang found in some parts of se Tn.

Just thoughts as they come to me.  I think no matter what that it is a southern iron mounted rifle quite a bit earlier than run of the mill and therefore important to study.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
Did I miss a mention of the caliber ?
Can someone tell me what the writing on the lock is..???
Also, is the "spur" on the heel of the stock typical of a particular area..??

Interesting rifle. Thanks for sharing.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
Wayne,

The area above the cheek rest isn't as concave as others I have seen.  It isn't that pronounced but is is a little dished out.

Don,

The lock is made by Hyde, Cleveland and Co. and is about 40 caliber.