Author Topic: Numrich flintlock project  (Read 23151 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: Unknown flintlock - recent find
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
I don't mean to come across as defensive.  I have little invested in this piece (literally, I think I paid about $100).

I know it's somewhat of a train-wreck, but I would like to learn a bit about how to work on these.  I don't have anyone to learn from directly, so I am learning what I can glean online. 

I really just wanted input on the best way to solve the issue of the sights.  I think it's probably best to just order replacements and fit them.   

As for the buttstock, I am fine leaving it as-is. I suspect it would be a lot of work to outfit a buttplate, and as you say, it's not worth that much effort.  (I must admit, though, it feels comfortable enough when shouldered.)

If it ends up shooting decently, I may make it my default chunk-gun.  If not, it's no big deal.  Starting off with some ugly, hopeless rifles will help me appreciate the nicer stuff down the line.  :) 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 03:15:13 AM »

Starting off with some ugly, hopeless rifles will help me appreciate the nicer stuff down the line.

Well, you are certainly correct about that one.  and this learning process can be lots of fun, so have at it!  I'd start by really cleaning that bore, probably with Scotch Brite and oil on a .40 cal jag...a .45 will be too tight.  Make a blade for that neat front sight, and maybe install a rear one that makes more sense for target shooting.  Hack saw, and file - will teach you more than M/C or Visa.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:51:16 PM by Ky-Flinter »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 06:12:24 AM »
Bones 92

2nd request. Send me an e-mail.

Buck Buchanan
Fayetteville Arms Room
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline bones92

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 06:47:03 AM »
Buck, sending email now.

Offline frogwalking

Re: Numrich flintlock project
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:57 AM »
Those barrels generally had the breech end off center,  We always tried to put the breechplug so the thin part of the barrel was on the bottom.  This lead to a rear sight higher than the front sight.  That is likely what you have, only it is more exaggerated than I have seen.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline bones92

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 12:24:35 AM »
I dropped the rifle off with a local guy who has built a number of flintlocks and has the tools to fit new sights.  Once I'm back home and can pick it up, I'll give it a try at the range.   

He's fitting a front sight that I will probably want to thin some.  What is a good way shave down the width of the blade in an even manner?  I suppose the obvious would be to use a triangle file laid flat against each side and drawn back with straight, even strokes.   I find that I get a much more precise (and repeatable) sight picture with a thin, crisp front sight blade.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »
 The best way to end up with the sight you desire is to have him put it on to start with. Thinning the front blade with a file will only thin the upper portion of the sight. If the sight is two piece, the blade will remain the original thickness where it attaches to the base. The same could be true if it is a one piece sight depending on its design. Either way you will end up with a step in your blade that will be noticeable.

Hungry Horse

ddoyle

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »

That bore may be a very valuable tool to you. If you are currently wife less it can be used as the perfect test of a woman's potential to partake in a happy home.

Do your research to learn about lapping- Vickery's Advanced Gunsmithing 1940 should do it. Pick a nice blue sky Saturday.  Head out to the saw horse at dawn with your potential betrothed.

Share the labor 50/50 (or i'd suggest she do 80% of the pulling- pushing and you do the pouring and lap tuning, but 50/50 should suffice to give you the data you require)

At the end of the day when the sun is just right for shooting take it to the range and shoot it. Does everyone share in the joy/disappointment equally?

Used per above that gun could be the best investment you ever made. Potentially save you 100K+ and some heart ache, which leaves a lot of cake and time to enjoy other rifles.

If the odds are bucked and she is happy to work together on something that you value and she only has a vague understanding of I would strongly suggest that the following sunday is planned very carefully ;D i.e you spend some time in the kitchen and she spends some time being worshiped.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »
 One other Numeric oddity is that they cured the offset breech threads, and corresponding offset breech plug, and tang, by using a big socket head setscrew for a breech plug. And, milling a tang on the end of the barrel. So, the plug almost always is tight against the rifling, but can be hard to remove, if rusted.

Hungry Horse