Author Topic: John Davidson Pension Application  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
John Davidson Pension Application
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
Sully at the CW gunshop gave me copies of a couple pensions applications he thought I might like to see.  One was for John Davidson.   Here is a link to a scan of a transcription of the John Davidson's pension application for his service in the American Revolution.    I found it very interesting and somewhat humorous at one point.    This was testimony that John Davidson gave in court relating to his military service.   For those of you who have dealt with the Veterans Administration,  you will see that nothing has changed in 183 years.   It looks like John Davidson's service ended  at the siege of Yorktown, and apparently Lafayette was not into paperwork.  :D  

https://s3.amazonaws.com/markelliottva/BBS+Stuff/John_Davidson_pension.pdf

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:14:10 PM by Mark Elliott »

brokenflint

Re: John Davidson Pension Application
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
Anyone know what this means "That he received a certificate for said service that was taken in by the sheriff for tax"

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
It means that he was able to trade his military service for the local taxes he owed.   

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
I have a copy of The Revolution Remembered, which contains 79 depositions for Revolutionary War pension applications.

If you haven't read it, but enjoy these kinds of things, I highly recommend it.  Amazon has hardcover used copies for $5.   

I read it and came away with a much greater understanding of the personal experience of the RevWar... and a much greater appreciation for the role the militia played in ultimate success. 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

brokenflint

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:35 PM »
Thanks Mark, I thought that might have been the case but I've not seen the term / usage before.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53:34 AM »
I have a copy of The Revolution Remembered, which contains 79 depositions for Revolutionary War pension applications.

If you haven't read it, but enjoy these kinds of things, I highly recommend it.  Amazon has hardcover used copies for $5.   

I read it and came away with a much greater understanding of the personal experience of the RevWar... and a much greater appreciation for the role the militia played in ultimate success. 
Thanks...just checked out that book and placed my order!

Offline bones92

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:54:37 AM »
You'll like it. It offers a neat view into many aspects of military...including the long periods of doing mundane roles and administrative "issues".

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:16 AM »
My $3.99 used hardback is on its way from ABEBOOKS, too. Thanks for the tip! :) Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
Hope you like it as much as I did, Bill. 

I have become more and more fascinated by the history of this land from the mid-1700s through the mid-1800s.   

I have a thick book titled "Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766"  It is next on my list to read.  I have determined that to really understand the American Revolution, one must understand the period from the Seven Years War up through the mid-1770s.  I am particularly looking forward to reading about Washington's early days as a British officer, as well as various other figures who later played prominent roles in the War of Independence.