Author Topic: Antique French Powder  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Keithbatt

Antique French Powder
« on: July 31, 2015, 01:13:47 AM »
I was wonder if someone could tell me a little more about this can of powder like age, collector interest, etc.   I've done the basic google searches.

Thanks,

Keith

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Antique French Powder
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:19:26 AM »
This should probably be moved to accouterments.

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:22:56 AM »
Moderators, please feel free to move this to where it is most appropriate. Sorry for mis-posting if I did.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
Could this be powder that was provided by the French to colonial forces during the Revolutionary period?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36:14 PM »
Could this be powder that was provided by the French to colonial forces during the Revolutionary period?
Not hardly......the date on the can is 1910.

Without doing a complete translation, it basically says that the powder is for very small caliber pistols and revolvers.  It also cautions that it is not to be used in larger caliber longarms.  It's probably a finely granulated powder like 4fg.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

AndrewCampbell

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
What a beautiful antique. Have you tried going in to get the wording translated? It might be able to provide you a better description of what the powder does and the ingredients and perhaps get you a clearer picture about what the stuff is for! Do keep us updated if you've found more information! I'd love to find out more too!

hammer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
Did a Google search.   Results are in French, naturally.  A nitrocellulose powder.   Produces 4 times the volume of gas as the equivalent volume of BP.    Suitable for pistols/revolvers.   Used in French military pistols in WWI.   T Bis seems to have gone out of production over 30 years ago?
My French is rusty but this seems the gist of it.

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »
Hammer,

Where are you seeing nitro?  On the front I see Poudres et Salpetre... Which I think translates as powder and saltpeter. That sounds like black powder to me.  I do see the reference to pistols on the back of the can.

Google tells me that Sevran Livry is a town where a national powder mill was.

Thanks for the replies.

Keith

hammer

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »
Keith, Pyroxylee denotes nitrocellulose, i.e.  smokeless.   It is seen stamped on French barrels as 'Poudre Pyroxylee' to denote that the firearm is proofed for nitro.  We British stamp NP for Nitro Proof.   The info I gave is from the Google search on T and T- bis where it specifically gives 'Nitrocellulose' against these powders.  Same word as in English.

Late 19th, early 20th century was a time of rapid development of the still relatively new smokeless powders.   Many different concoctions were produced.  Each with its Trade Name.   With some intended to substitute for BP in BP proofed arms.  Most disappeared as quickly as they appeared.   T-bis was perhaps one of those?

Very attractive bottle.   If I had it I would have it on my shelf on display.  A bit of history.

Regards,
Peter.

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »
Thanks for that explanation. I was making assumptions based on parts of the bottle without understanding all of what I was translating. 

Keith