Author Topic: Sanity check  (Read 10905 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Sanity check
« on: August 03, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »
I need another set of eyes(brain) to take a look at the William Antes attributed rifle recreated by Ken Gahagan on the Contemporary Makers blog today.    The text suggested a 1756 date for the original rifle based on the engraving on the brass plate  inlayed in the barrel.   However,  my reading of the plate on the recreated rifle is 59 (L IX).    I am assuming it was supposed to be a copy of the original.  Does anyone else read the number as 59.   If not,  what do you see and why?

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Sanity check
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
Yep, 59.
56 would be L VI

So, yes, it does look like 59, But if you look at the way he engraved it, it could be seen as 56 as well,,,,,, I've seen the original gun before, but to tell the truth I don't remember exactly how it was engraved. If I can refresh my memory I'll let you know.

John
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:50:03 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »
Thanks John.   It would seem I am seeing the same thing as you.    I can see how one might read it as 56, but I think 59 would be a more conservative reading.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »
'56 or '59, seems this original rifle would predate the John Shreit rifle of 1761. It is the first time I have seen or heard of this piece. I often wonder if anyone out there takes notes on these known works that change all of the information that we have been using and seem to keep using to this day?  I would make a note of this, but would need to study the old rifle that was copied.
Joel Hall

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:59:32 AM »
Mark, After a quick refresher, the numerals on Ken's gun are done as they are on the original gun. So I guess 56 or 59, take your pick as you see them.

The gun is pictured in Shumways Vol 1, pg 78. Although he doesn't mention the numerals other than noting them as 'curious letters of unknown meaning' and the picture of that area is washed out.

Joel, This gun has been around for a long time, but the question is whether it is Euro/German or American made, maple stocked here using an earlier barrel, or just what.

John
John Robbins

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:03 AM »
The "number" could also be some sort of a serial number.   There is no telling.    I have seen production numbers in roman numerals.   I think roman numerals were used for such purposes because they are so related to counting with hash marks.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »
Great gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 05:10:40 AM »
Yes very cool gun.  The markings may indicate a date… or they may not.  How would we know?

I'm still waiting, here, I don't know how many years later, for someone to explain to me why William Antes name is associated with this.  Seriously.  It's got to be more than a 'faith' thing.

BTW Ken's copy of it looks absolutely awesome.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:57:15 AM »
It does bear some resemblance to the Antes in the Kansas Historical  Society Museum. That one is a swivel breech though

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »
I saw Ken's rifle at Dixon's and it is superbly done. Very impressive.

Most of you guys on this thread know the reasons for attribution but for Joel's sake I'll note them.

Similar sideplate to signed Antes work with vertical moulding design and in regards to the incised butt carving "  it does show a very strong resemblance to the pattern of cheekpiece carving on the signed Kansas State Historical society swivel breech " KRA Moravian book.

I'm no expert for sure but I've sudied these in my refernece books forever and am having a hard time purring the carvings together. If only one characteristic matched up for me I could be convinced.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 02:01:37 AM »
Yes very cool gun.  The markings may indicate a date… or they may not.  How would we know?

I'm still waiting, here, I don't know how many years later, for someone to explain to me why William Antes name is associated with this.  Seriously.  It's got to be more than a 'faith' thing.

BTW Ken's copy of it looks absolutely awesome.

I'm not the attributor but I did engage in some silliness.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
Yeah.  I just don't buy it, jmho.  I need a bit more than a few lines here or there, or a generic sideplate design or carved design (very nice carving, but I feel like it's just a simplified version of a typical form).  Basically back to back scrolls with some minor fluff.

I would love to have seen it when new, before the whole thing was worked over.  Don't get me wrong it's a great story in and of itself as it now stands but when new it must have been a very professional piece.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 11:59:12 PM »
There's nothing but conjecture to go on.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:51 AM »
Exactly.  But anyway…..  largely my fault, we're digressing -

Ken has achieved a spectacular piece of work and some KILLER aging!