Author Topic: Tryon Rifle - Percussion .50  (Read 7098 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Tryon Rifle - Percussion .50
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
About a year ago I acquired a long rifle that I am hoping to learn more about, and I would be very grateful for the insights, observations and opinions of the forum.

The rifle is .50" caliber, with strong defined rifling still present. The barrel is marked "PHILADA" on top, and on the bottom side  READING PA

What is interesting to me is that the lock and trigger seem to have been modified at some point, with a flash-guard added around the bolster, and the triggerguard seems to have been elongated with signs of having been brazed.   I originally thought it was converted from flintlock, but I have been told this is not the case.

The patch-box lid is marked "TRYON", which I believe refers to a parts supplier that furnished various firearms parts to gun-makers in the mid-late 1800s. Note the unusual device for locking the patch box; one must push the button on the toe to release the patch-box lid. Looks like it was done by an individual.

As you can see, the forearm and other stock parts have been repaired once or twice over the years.  The inletting in the forearm has old pillow ticking pasted in with a type of resin, which I'm told was a common method for repairing cracks by gunsmiths long ago.

I have also been advised that this likely was a smaller caliber originally, and was rebored to a larger caliber after years of use.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:59:39 PM by bones92 »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline bones92

Re: Tryon Rifle - Percussion .50
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
Nobody has any insight or observations?  Is it too generic to have any notable features?

And for some reason, I'm still not convinced it wasn't a flintlock at some point.  

A few more images for your review...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:54:51 PM by bones92 »

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
 To me this looks like a batch of old parts, that have been incorporated into a shooter. Obviously many of the features came from a gun with many Pennsylvania generated parts. The triggers look modern, as does the reworked trigger guard, and sight, not to mention several screws.

Hungry Horse

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
The triggerguard and patchbox brass are both marked TRYON. I believe it is a rifle either converted from flintlock, or at least a reworked lock assembly. 

I think the sights were probably lost and someone put a front sight on it, as well as a "modern" trigger assembly sometime in the 1950s or 1960s.

I think it has "original" barrel, stock and brasswork and possibly lock (albeit really worked over).

I also think it was re-bored at some point.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
 I'm just saying that the modifications/repairs to the Tryon marked trigger guard were done with a modern welding torch. Tryon marked hardware is seen on many rifles signed by other makers, which leads me to believe that Tryon sold gun fittings, as well as complete guns. The triggers are definitely of modern manufatore.
 When I first got started in muzzleloading about forty years ago, there were a lot of guns like this floating around built as shooters from original guns, and parts.

Hungry Horse

Offline bones92

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
Yes, I think you're right... repaired triggerguard, probably done with a torch.

This is one I plan to shoot, once I find a suitable rear sight.    I also need some brass shim material for the trigger assembly. 

I also think you're right about Tryon making parts for use by gunmakers all over the country.

These kinds of rifles are intriguing to me.  They're not as fancy as many better rifles of their era, but there is something fascinating about the everyday, working-man aspect.  They were used, and used well.  I can only surmise how many meals this rifle provided, most of which were probably before 1900.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »
I very much doubt it was ever a flintlock. The extra holes in the lockplate are the result of changing mainsprings. The mattress ticking glued into the forend is an "old time" repair... though exactly how old is a question. I had a NE rifle with a shattered forestock treated that way. The ticking was glued in with hide glue so it was probably fairly old.

I think this was a very beat rifle that someone rehabbed 40 (or maybe nearer 50) years ago. Oddly enough, I remember an article in Gun Digest from just about that time by someone who did precisely the same thing — and he added an original patchbox to an otherwise plain rifle. No one placed much value on plain rifles then and none of this was frowned on.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:55:02 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline bones92

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  It is a well-worn piece, though the bore looks really good.  If she turns out to be as good a shooter as I suspect, I will be satisfied.

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
Reading another thread about whether one might want to avoid shooting an old flintlock fowler, I got to thinking (again) about this rifle.

I have been planning to fire this old rifle for a while. I am sourcing some .480 ball for it.    Were barrels made for the common man made by shaping and welding flat iron in the 1840s and 1850s?   

ron w

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »
between the huge cut out for the bolster and the somewhat funky geometry in the cock/drum/nipple alignment, i'd have to say, in my non-expert opinion, that it was most probably either a flint gun at some time, or the gun was built using a converted flint lock,.....that later not being much different than a converted gun.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
Most modern shooters that decide to shoot an antique rifle, forget that the main problem isn't always the safety of the barrel, and breechplug, although after viewing the workmanship in this rifle it would be on the top of my list. But, my point is, look at the crack around the lock bolt on the side plate. This thing could fracture right there, and skewer you with the barrel tang. I have seen three guns that failed in this manner. Wood that has been around for maybe a century, usually hanging over a fireplace, is overly dry, and brittle as glass.  I alway discourage people from shooting antiques unless they are in extremely good condition. This gun does not fit that description. In my opinion this is what is commonly called a blacksmiths gun, which is a gun built from several old wrecks, by someone that is not a gunsmith. JMO.

Hungry Horse