Author Topic: Where to obtain .54-.55 inch O.D. wads?  (Read 3341 times)

Naphtali

Where to obtain .54-.55 inch O.D. wads?
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »
I think what I'm asking about are over shot wads rather than over powder wads - that is, the hard carboard-like wads rather than vegetable fiber or felt wads. While vegetable fiber wads can be bought from Walters in just about any diameter wanted, the only thick card-like wads I'm aware of are for shotguns.

Where can wads of the type I seek be obtained between .54 and .55 inch in diameter?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Where to obtain .54-.55 inch O.D. wads?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:22:17 PM »
Where can wads of the type I seek be obtained between .54 and .55 inch in diameter?
I believe that .54 is 28 gauge, which are readily available.  Overshot cards are generally paper thin, while the cards that are used over the powder are of the heavier cardboard type.  They are often used without the fiber wads.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline FDR

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
I think 28 ga. Is 55cal. And 24ga. Is .58 caliber. I would check the diameter of some different sizes of metal tubing and see if I could make a punch to punch my own. Worn out hole saws are a good source of high grade punch material as well. They can be run in a drill press to do the cutting.

Hungry Horse

Naphtali

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:27:37 AM »
Many thanks, guys. I got what I needed.