Author Topic: Nicholas Shenefelt rifle with original rig.  (Read 11423 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Nicholas Shenefelt rifle with original rig.
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:51:58 AM »
Rifle with all it's original accoutrements.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:53:53 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

Re: Nicholas Shenefelt rifle with original rig.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:57:36 AM »
Were you able to purchase it and the kit?!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:01:13 AM »
Were you able to purchase it and the kit?!

Really!  Is it yours now??

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:16:55 AM »
I was fortunate enough to bring it home.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
Great account!  Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing it.  Think you could post some more photos?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:06:08 PM »
I'll get some more photos as time permits.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
I'm curious about the bullet mold.  I haven't see another like it?  Made almost like
a Colt was made.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:35:30 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:45:40 AM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 03:17:44 AM »
Sincere thanks to LuckyRA for fixing my broken wrist. He did a spectacular job

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:36:31 AM »
What a find! Those accrutiments are just chocolate icing on the cake Rob.

Nice

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:19:32 AM »
Lucky find. Especially with the possible bag an contents.

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
Like the blind squirrel, you've gotta be looking for a nut to find one... very nice and great to find, all together, in this condition AND with some (living) provenance.  You really need to get both a notarized hand written and typed transcription of this history, to neatly wrap the package and tie the bow on this grouping. 

The 'knob' on the butt plug of the powder horn is particularly interesting (material is old ceramic [?] or bleached bone [?] period replacement [?]) and the measure looks to be a Sharps cartridge case.  Details man, details!!

Cool stuff, indeed.  Thanks!! 

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 01:35:20 AM »
When you consider the number of longrifles that have survived very very few have come down with there bag and horn outfit. It is a rare find and a nice treat for the collector. It gives us a look into what worked for the original owner.  Pretty cool Rob!
JIM

realtorone

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:41 AM »
Super find and you had lots of luck.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »
I'm going to take your suggestions and go back and visit with the seller and write down the story and ask him to sign it.  Collector, A porcelain drawer pull is attached to the Powderhorn and the measure is a UMC 32–40 shell. The bullet mold is a single cavity  roundball. The horn was full of 2F
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:06:33 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Collector

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
Shrekmeister,

Just curious, but what does this gal's butt look like, when you flip her over? (In a PG sort of way)  

Thanks for your responses.  Those rimmed straight and tapered wall cartridge cases all look the same, to me  ::) but it's still a neat re-purpose/adaptation to see.  I think it also reflects how enduring the use of the BP muzzle loading rifles were, even with CF cartridge rifles in use.    

The horn has that folksy roughly scraped look to the walls, enough to serve the purpose without refinement.  The drawer pull is pretty folksy too.  

Q. Horn measurement ay butt and along the outside cure?

The flap on the bag is also interesting, having two (2) different types of stitching and having a straight side seam and a opposing diagonal seam.  Seems to me, that if worn on the right side, the diagonal side seam would make it easier and quicker to slide your hand under the flap, to get to the bag contents, without so much as even a quick look.  

It's something like that, or the maker was running out of material.  I'm always amazed at how intuitive and practical our fore bearers were with their essential 'tools.'

Q. Bag measurements?  

Thanks again.  They are, collectively, a neat piece of that family's history as well as our own.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:00:31 PM by Collector »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
Collector, I am going to get the details you requested.  I contacted the former owner again who related that
the rifle was in fact originally owned by his great grandfather Samuel P. Bish, a grocery salesman, who coincidentally was born and raised in
Porter Twp, Clarion County PA, the same township where Nicholas Shennefelt had his shop at Leatherwood.  The family story
was that the rifle was purchased in Putneyville from the Shreckengost's.  Could this be a second strong link
between Shennefelt and Shreckengost to further support my belief that Shennefelt was Shreckengost's master?  Some
time ago I found a rifle bearing strong architectural, furniture and inlay characteristics of a cross between the two makers
and it was signed N. Shennefelt, but looked more Shreck yet some Shennefelt.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:18:26 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 03:54:01 AM »
The horn is 10+" on the outside curve and 2" across the plug.  The bag is 7+ tall and 8+ wide.

Typical late period cap box.