Author Topic: G. Mefford Rifle at Old Barn Auction  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
G. Mefford Rifle at Old Barn Auction
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:42 PM »
As luck would have it....I have been off the internet for three weeks while moving from FL back to IN for the summer months, and therefore missed notice of the Old Barn auction in Ohio, where a "G. Mefford" signed rifle recently sold. Did anyone on this site buy the rifle? If so, would you mind contacting me to see if it might be possible to get better pictures of the gun and its signature for my ongoing work on Kentucky-made guns?  I've seen a couple guns by his son Thomas who also worked in KY, but have not seen a signed George Mefford rifle. Or...if anyone knows who the buyer was, would you mind touching base with him/her to see if it might be possible to get better pictures of the gun...or allow it to be photographed?  Thanks,  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:26:05 AM by Tanselman »

Offline GrampaJack

Re: G. Mefford Rifle at Old Barn Auction
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:20 AM »
Shelby, I thought it was odd that you didn't respond to my email about this gun a couple weeks ago, now I know why. I have good news for you, I believe that auction is this weekend and the gun is in the Saturday group.  Not sure if they will have time but the folks that run the auction have been very good about sending me additional pictures in the past. Can't hurt to ask. Unfortunately I have now made plans and I can not make it up there. Best Regards, Jack

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
Strange the catalog says its a carved rifle and they don't bother to photo the cheek side.  Some nice rifles in
that auction. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »
I drove over to the Old Barn Auction this morning to inspect the G. Mefford rifle, but did not bid on it. The barrel had a great signature, the first I have seen by George Mefford. The patchbox was interesting, with engraving just unsophisticated enough to be from Kentucky, and the guard had two flats on the outer surfaces which looked good. But the stock carving looked too late for when Mefford worked...he was in KY from 1785 to 1814 when he died; I also would not have expected a rounded comb on a Mefford rifle, since he was trained in Lancaster, PA and later worked in KY, both places where tall butts with straight toe and comb lines were most prevalent. The gun had been worked on in the past with several small wood splices installed, and patchbox screws were modern, so I was not comfortable enough with the overall gun to bid on it. But it was neat seeing for the first time a good, well engraved George Mefford barrel signature. Shelby Gallien 

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »
Shelby, Did you get a picture of the signature?
John
John Robbins

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:05 AM »
I did not get any photos of the Mefford rifle. I should have asked Old Barn if I could take pictures with my cell phone, but just assumed they would frown on it like a lot of other auction houses. Hopefully the new owner will pop up some time, and I can get better pictures of the hardware on the gun including signature. Shelby

Offline VP

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:30:26 AM »
Shelby,

I asked for and received photos from Old Barn of the rifle. I came to the same conclusion that you did. I will forward you the photos I have, which include the signature.

Van Pitman

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »
Shelby I sent you a pm regarding the Mefford rifle.  If you see this please contact me.
Gary Tucker
Gary Tucker

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:39:20 AM »
Theres some good guns in that auction.
Buck