Author Topic: shooting a left-hand rifle  (Read 7268 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
shooting a left-hand rifle
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »
How many here shoot rifles of the opposite orientation, i.e. a left hand rifle fired from the right shoulder?

I would think it is more of an issue with flintlock than with percussion.

I ask because I recently picked up a really nice .50 custom rifle ...but it's left-hand percussion.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline J Henry

Re: shooting a left-hand rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
  I shoot left and I am right handed!! I shoot caps and there is the problem with cap parts blowing by,,I wear glasses so that isn't a problem...Both Muzzle loaders and modern,,always have.. Dominate left eye...

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
I would expect the main issue to be stock geometry (cheek rest and cast) rather than lock placement.  After all, double shotguns, both flint and percussion, were common and there's no way you can shoot a double without one lock  being inboard.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 04:51:21 PM »
I have in the past made several left handed shots with my right handed flintlock on game because that was the only shot available. They were all standing shots and I had no flash fire in the face enough to distract my aim. If you concentrate on your front sight your shot will be on its way before you notice the flash.

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
I shoot righthanded flint guns lefthanded and have no trouble.  A percussion gun would be better.  You should be wearing glasses with whatever you are shooting.  Flint fragments and powder grains are as bad as cap fragments.
Brice Stultz

B Staley

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:40:38 PM »
I shoot right handed flintlocks at times from my left shoulder my main concern is powder burns on my right arm, need to wear long sleeve shirts......:)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:18:57 PM »
I'm RH but when I lost the use of my right eye had to learn to shoot LH. While I was working at  learning to shoot LH I rigged up an underhammer rifle with a set of mirrors that allowed me to shoot RH with my left eye. Subsequently I have built and acquired several LH rifles and fowlers . I still have the mirror rifle on the wall but haven't shot it in a while.
Mark
Mark

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I used to hunt pheasants a lot with a double 20 gauge caplock.  I never had any problems with cap fragments around my eyes, but my left wrist always had small specks imbedded in it at the end of the day, and they would burn like hades until I got home and scrubbed em down with soap and water.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Naphtali

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
In the 1990s, Ted Fellowes, Les Orestad, and I were shooting the production prototype Ferguson rifle Narragansett shipped me, at Ted's Issaquah, Washington, range. Les and I shoot left-handed; I also shoot rightie. One shot with the Ferguson - left-handed - and I was certain that I would not shoot a rightie flintlock from the left shoulder. Les concurred. Recoil caused us to inadvertently and slightly inhale. Not pleasant. But shooting rightie was no problem.

I shoot Sharps 1863s leftie without any issues. Les shoots several rightie cap lock rifles, again, without any issues.
Parenthetically, In Donald Dallas' excellent book, The British Sporting Gun and Rifle, are photograph and blurb describing how Alexander Henry built his dropping block single-shot rifle actions for lefties with the lock on the right side. He - and I - believe that side lock dropping block actions are easier and quicker to load when lock is not interfering. After several years, Henry ceased making his leftie dropping block that way - mostly because buyers were expecting side lock single shots to "look" a certain way. If you want a beautiful visual of what I mean, in "Quigley Down Under" watch Quigley load and fire when he demonstrates his proficiency to the villain near the beginning of the film.

Offline hudson

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »
I am left handed and shoot both with little trouble. First rifle long ago was a kit, then only R.H. available. Second L.H. seamed different, can't say I noticed much different. I almost always build L.H. Present  has a Allen Box Lock (love it) R.H. of cores. The only thing I notice is capping is harder on the L.H. when shooting L.H. when using a capper.

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 04:43:54 AM »
I'm a lefty and have shot flintlocks, matchlocks, and caplocks from both sides. I find find the lefty locks a better fit. The thing that is worst though is when you have the rounded side of the righty stock rather than the cheek piece because you're on the wrong side. If there is cast off in the stock, that also makes it harder because you'll be going against the cast as a lefty with a righty gun. I own exclusively lefty guns now.

Offline bones92

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »
I would expect the main issue to be stock geometry (cheek rest and cast) rather than lock placement. 

Very true, although this rifle shoulders great.   The cool brass of the patchbox on my cheek doesn't bother me at all, either!

I'll post some photos of the rifle, and you all will see why I am looking for a reason to keep it!  ;)

Offline bones92

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:56 AM »
I started a thread (with pictures) on the Contemporary forum.  This is the offending rifle that dares force me to keep it.

I have to say... wow, it feels really good to handle.  Long, slender, balanced.  Excellent trigger.  Bore is fantastic.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 03:16:48 AM »
I have been off handed all my life and when I took to shootin' flinters I sort of banished myself to the left end of the range to keep from peppering my range mates.  What ya' got to watch are the lefties shooting right handed guns.  They will get you every time.  My rifles are all lefthanded and have no problem.  My question to lefties shootin' right handed flinters ....have you considered while holding your rifle at lowport the consequences of an accidental discharge of your rifle??   OUCH!!!

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 06:40:57 AM »
That ship has already sailed.  I have my tattoo. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
That ship has already sailed.  I have my tattoo. 

Yup...I'm a lefty. Got mine while Bench Shooting a right hand flintlock. I shoot my right hand flint rifle quite a bit from a rest...I got "Tattooed" once when I carelessly moved my right arm forward to grip the forearm. Lesson learned.  ::)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline bones92

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
If this were a flinter, I'd probably be looking to swap for a right-hand rifle.  But I don't foresee any issues shooting it.