Author Topic: Gun Storage  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Molly

Gun Storage
« on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »
I'm sure this has been kicked around before but I'm just wondering about a good product to use when putting guns up for several weeks/months at a time.  I know keeping them in a dehumidified safe would be great....but short of that and given life in a humid part of the world what might one use on the outside metal.  I'm thinking just light oil and doing it every 10 days or so????

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Gun Storage
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »
Balistol in the bore and Renaissance wax on the outside....... six months likely with no problem unless you are keeping them in the shower.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:27:04 AM »
Ren wax for original firearms I am familiar with but for contemporaries as well?

Offline One Eye

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:44:40 AM »
My First choice is EEZOX, followed by Barricade.
Both are durable, long term storage products and leave a dry or wax like finish.
Ren Wax is great, but the finish is soft. I use it on metal, leather and wood on antique guns that are stored in dry, fire proof safes. After Katrina, a museum in New Orleans that had preserved antiques with hot dipped Ren Wax found very little damage after days under water. But these folks handle guns with gloves and buy the wax by the gallon.
Hunting in driving rain or storage in humid conditions I would choose EEZOX.
Regards,
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
Balistol in the bore...

Me too. I wipe down the outside with Balistol too. I worked for me in both the rain forest of wet-stern Washington state and now in the dry Republic of California.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:32:29 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Your idea of a light oil is a good one, tried and true if you regularly attend to the guns. I use 3-in-1 oil, been working for 70 years now in the heat and humidity of Georgia.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »
I swab the bore's of my rifles with RIG grease before I put them away. They stay rust free for years.
Joel Hall

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
Joel.... I to use RIG, it is an excellent choice, wipe inside and out. I have also used motor oil on the bore for a long lasting protection.

Kind Regards 
Frank Barker

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:28 PM »
I don't guess my answer qualifies as long term storage advice.  I constantly handle, fiddle with, check the bores and wipe down all mine even when months go by without their being fired.  In the past I've used 3 in 1 oil along with a wide variety of gun oils with complete success.  For several years I've relied on Barricade and occasionally Break Free CLP.  I wax the exterior once or twice a year and use a substance, which I will not name as it seems to spark inflammatory controversy, after each cleaning.  All these years have seen my flinters staying in excellent condition.  From the jungle-like conditions in Ga to the more moderate climes of Va, I'm quite happy with my results.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 01:45:17 AM »
RIG for the bore, Mil-tech for the rest of the metal .
RIG is great for long term storage ,ie I'm not sure when I'll shoot it next .
Track has it so does Brownells.

I've had tiny pitting long term with both bore butter and ballistol.
Both of which are just great for patch lube.

Did anyone read the story about the over the log shooter who before he left for the Civil War filled his barrel up with lard before he left (guess it was unsalted heh ?).
The barrel was still as good as the day he left it but ...someone else did the cleaning 

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
All good stuff.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I have tried a variety of "light oils".  All seem to evaporate after a while but maybe still provide some protection.  I keep my rifles on display in the open.  I too try to pay close attention to the surfaces but recently found that I did not pay close enough attention to the two I do not shoot.  I try to shoot something every week, generally a different one.  I think the key is just to pay attention!  Several brands of "field wipes" are out there.  The make it easy to simply wipe down the barrel while still on the wall.  Seems like most of the light corrosion I experienced was on the very top flat of the barrel.  Basically just rubbed it off with a cloth and gave it a good does of oil.  Cleaned up OK.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
When I lived down at the coast, I used RIG on all my guns for storage. Here in the interior with low average humidity, I clean them with water, dry, flush with WD40, then wipe down the outside steel with that patch - done - none of my guns rusted after being stored for years with no extra protection.  Now, it's rare they don't all get shot at least once in a year, however still no rust, no 'extra' protection. Only the film of WD40 - since 1980, that's it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 03:23:40 AM »
Rig in the bore will protect for years ..... ask me how I know. Its the best product on the market in my opinion. Ned Roberts also used it and recommended it. Its been around for a very long time and is a proven product for preventing rust. What more could you possibly ask for?

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!