Author Topic: Auction item  (Read 5983 times)

eddillon

Auction item
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:46:59 AM »
Here is an interesting one.  I like the "monkey tail lock.  With the roller it looks like a French lock.  I await opinions on this one.
http://www.antiqueguns.com/auction/item.cgi?robles/robles-49464

Online Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Auction item
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
Not the original lock? Looks like the lock has been trimmed short at the back and does not quite fit the inlet.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:25:23 PM »
That one is a real conundrum.  Looks like a revival piece to me but maybe a 1960s gun made with some original parts?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
Look real close at the picture of the lock signature. You can see the line under the pan where it was added. The "ashmore" marking is also partly covered by the frizzen spring.....
Ed Hamberg

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »
To many zeros :o in the starting bid IMO.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
Chief Makumflint  ;D
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »
 Far too plain for my tastes! :D
Okieboy

hammer

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
Google shows another Ashmore rifle at a different auction site.  Or rather a rifle with an Ashmore lock.  While the signature here looks odd, the very same engraving at the rear is on that other lock which is a conversion from flint to percussion with a nipple drum.     Was our one here a flint converted to percussion and then back to flint with alterations to get the Asmore lock to fit the recess and a new cock?  Interesting none the less.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
The cap box screams percussion as does the general architecture.  I think the flash hole cover is masking it's percussion days.
Longknife notes the lock does not fit it's mortise.  You can see where the pan was added to the lockplate.  This gun looks 1850s to 1860s.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:51:35 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 12:07:27 AM »
Definately a flint conversion, probably origninal cap lock gun. The two piece fore stock seems to be correct for the gun. I tend to lean toward not the original lock to the gun. The inlays looked to be a soft material. This rifle in my opinion is starting a little on the high side, but hey it may be a bargin for all I know.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 01:47:14 AM »
It's been on there a while, I don't know what it is. Jim I thought the inlays might be pewter, upon closer examination it almost looks like lead.
Buck

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:55 AM »
The inlays looked to be a soft material. This rifle in my opinion is starting a little on the high side, but hey it may be a bargin for all I know.

This is shown in the description of the rifle.  "With 87 Pewter stock inlays,"
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:33 AM »
If it only had 92 pewter inlays, I'd be all over it.  ;)

I wonder if all the inlays add significantly to the weight.

And the lockplate almost looks as though it were made from a larger one, ground down to size.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.