Author Topic: opinion on southern or not  (Read 10362 times)

cyrus1066

opinion on southern or not
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »
Hi .......a fullstock at Wards Collectibles (go to guns and single cartridges category) auctions.
Late Percussion .......currently at 263$
Any opinions ,comments etc would be good.
Regards  Cyrus

Offline Dave B

Re: opinion on southern or not
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:56:50 AM »
A intriguing piece. Too bad there are not more photos to see what it is one would be bidding on. Its not obvious from the photo given what area the Gun was likely made. If you are registered do you get access to more photos? It looks to be in pretty good shape.
Dave Blaisdell

whetrock

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 06:24:08 AM »

I think this link takes you to the right one.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=4031

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:27:48 AM by Whetrock (PLB) »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
A good bet here on this rifle is that it was made in Ohio, or in the Ohio river valley somewhere. If the latter, it could have been made on either side of the Ohio River. From what I can see, it looks like a pretty good piece and the price is somewhat modest.
Dick

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
I agree with Dick, Ohio or far Western PA.
Buck

cyrus1066

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 04:43:00 AM »
well the price seems to beg the question..... What is its
value ?..........at present at 294$.this seems a gift for a
1850's + gun in ok to better cond?
Was it once flint?eg notch in stock.
Thanks for input to date.Cyrus.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
Doubtful that it was ever a flintlock gun as it appears to have been made somewhat late in the percussion era. It's a working gun that could have come west, but was equally likely a homestead gun for casual hunting not far from where it was made. Price sounds favorable to my ear. Anything under $500 would be a nice deal.
Dick

aprayinbear

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:37:42 AM »
For you more experienced folks out there...

I'm trying to train my eyes to recognize the different schools more accurately.  What features of this rifle help you identify as Ohio, or western PA?

Looking to Learn ;)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »
Gun appears that it could have been made somewhat past the time that silver or brass inlays, or patchbox were routinely used, thus it is a plain rifle. It nonetheless has a pleasing slender profile and a relatively long barrel. While it doesn't have high ornamentation, the maker nonetheless used nice maple plank wood for the stock. The wrist has a stepped appearance, a feature of the far W. PA and Ohio region guns in later guns with this look. The triggerguard has a spur and double spurs on the rear of the guard bow. I think that Davidson, (lock plate), may have been a gun maker, or parts supplier in Cincinatti, if memory serves. Gun probably made in the middle of the 1800s, (1845-1870). Original cost of the rifle would not have been high, perhaps $12.00 at the time, or even less.
f you can, take a look at Shelby Gallien's two volumes on "Kentucky Gunmakers" and you will learn as much as is known of these pieces. Better yet, purchse the books and then set out to find some of these attractive arms from the heart of America. And, by the way, this rifle would fit right in with those in Shelby's books. Hope that his this helps some.
Dick 

cyrus1066

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
thanks for the comments everyone........it seems still cheap at the price.....
where can we buy a antique like this for 300$.........I just commited on another,
otherwise I would bid.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 08:33:08 PM »
Here is another T. Davidson & Co. lock with a Cincinnati address on it. Does your lock look similar?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504503623
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:33:45 PM by crawdad »