Author Topic: Something's in this bore that won't clean out???  (Read 9446 times)

Boompa

Something's in this bore that won't clean out???
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:59:23 PM »
  I acquired a used percussion rifle in 54 cal recently.  The bore looks nice down to about 6-10" in front of the breech.  Not rust or pitting but a dull appearance. It is not rough, a patch slides through this area freely as with the rest of the bore. I know the previous owner was fond of using maxi-balls and even sabot projectiles.  Could it be wax or plastic residue burnished into that part of the bore?  Any ideas on this or how to clean it? The different bore cleaners I've tried do nothing. ??? Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Something's in this bore that won't clean out???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »
Try JB Bore paste, maybe?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »
There are bore cleaners that the modern shotgunners use to get the plastic residue out of their bores. This might be an option if the JB Bore cleaner does not do the job.

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
Try shooting it out with a ball patched like Daryl describes and Hoppes black powder no 9 for patch lube.  Should work and will harm nothing.
kind regards, heinz

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
I know the previous owner was fond of using maxi-balls and even sabot projectiles.  Could it be wax or plastic residue burnished into that part of the bore?
Definitely!!  It has all the classic symptoms.  I used to get inlines in the shop with the same problem.  I used a product called RB-17 which will get underneath the residue and loosen it enough to clean out with a bore brush.  It will dissolve lead and black powder residue.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

B Staley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »
You could use a Scotch bright pad, cut a small strip off and put on a cleaning jag.

Boompa

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »
  Good suggestions and thanks again for the help.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:47:22 PM »
You mention it being a "dull appearance" but nothing that there is any unusual color to it.

It is also a percussion rifle.

When you mention rusting or pitting. 
You can have slight pitting from corrosion that does not leave large pits.  It may have had Pyrodex run through it since it is a percussion ignition rifle.  You may be looking at what I would call micro-pitting of the surface of the bore where most of the burnt powder residue would have been deposited in the bore.  To see the pits would require magnification but this micro-pitting will appear as a dulling of the surface of the metal .

Mad Monk

Boompa

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:38:51 PM »
  Yes, the previous owner was definitely a Pyrodex, 777 user.  I believe I'm the first and only shooter to use black powder in this gun. The rifle shoots fine and groups well so it's not a big deal from a practical standpoint.  It just bugs me that I can't make the entire bore bright and shiny. I'll try some of the above suggestions and if I can't remove the dull area of fouling, micro-pitting, or whatever it is I'll smile and shoot it as it is. :)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:53:38 AM »
Probably chlorate pits via Pyrodex. Starts out as a frosty appearance.  May need lapping to cure. If they are very deep it will foul heavily.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Naphtali

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 04:46:56 AM »
Perhaps Kroil would penetrate the gunk and allow it to be removed as a disgusting mass?

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »
Shooter's Choice: "Firearms Bore Cleaner" is one of the products Smylee Grouch mentioned above. When I shot a LOT of ATA Trap, that was my "Go to" for bore cleaning and never had a problem removing plastic buildup with it. A bore brush, or small piece of  "green wool" pad on a jag will do it, if it's plastic residue.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
Monk and Dan are most likely spot-on, as micro pitting will appear as a dull surface, yet not present as a constricted area, as a deposit would provide. If there was a deposit of plastic or anything else, there would be a constriction 'felt' in that area.

Since there is no constriction & chlorate powder was used, ie: Pyrodex -  it is most likely chlorate pitting as the two gentlemen suggested - in a minor state, perhaps - at this time.

Lapping is what I would do, to alleviate the 'problem'. Been there, done that.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
You could use a Scotch bright pad, cut a small strip off and put on a cleaning jag.

X2. Green scotch brite is for varnish etc and brown will actuall remove metal. Some Kroil on the scotch brite may help.    You'll need to use a smaller jag w the scotch brite. Maybe .40 or .45.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Boompa

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 06:30:11 AM »
  Tried some of the solvents mentioned but the dull appearance is still there. Must be Pyrodex pitting.  I bought some JBs bore lap to try.  Thanks for all the replies & help.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
JB is VERY mild, might work, but might need stronger medicine, like coarse Scotch-Brite or even lead lapping.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »
  Tried some of the solvents mentioned but the dull appearance is still there. Must be Pyrodex pitting.  I bought some JBs bore lap to try.  Thanks for all the replies & help.

JB will not work.
It will likely need a lead lap since the grooves will need to be cleaned as well.
First clean is with water that is very warm to the touch. LOTS of water. then dry and oil. Lapping requires debreeching, a good stiff rod with real bearings in the handle, the lapping compound and knowledge on how to cast a lap and use it. I would use 220 or 320 Clover compound to start 600 or finer for finish. Plan on spending a day at this.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline LH

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »
Did you figure it out Boompa? 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 01:50:46 AM »
Boompa can tell yeah what I did. Simple an it worked. But I am not an expert. It's not hc correct but it worked.