Author Topic: Comparison: Goex vs KIK  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
Comparison: Goex vs KIK
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
I haven't bought any BP in a number of years, but it's time to re-stock the larder and would like to get some opinions comparing the two listed powders - it will be used in both my muzzleloaders (both percussion and flint) and cap'n ball revolvers - is it a matter of you get what you pay for or??
Appreciate your time.......
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Mad Monk

Re: Comparison: Goex vs KIK
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
Chuck,

I saw you posted the same question over on the Open Range.

I have not looked at any of the KIK imported by Western Powder.  I had looked at the KIK imported by GOEX in 2000.

It is a question of what you expect out of the powder in specific tasks.

The KIK imported by GOEX had some serious accuracy problems.  In my .45 and .50 ml rifles it could not match GOEX or Elephant for accuracy.  It did give a more manageable bore fouling compared to the other two powders.  At that time it was faster than either GOEX or Elephant.  But since that time GOEX has raised their velocity a good bit over their 1999 and 2000 production powders.
The KIK in bp cartridge rifles showed accuracy problems.

Unless you can just one can of KIK to test you could be taking a risk in buying any quantity of it.  If you are not willing to take that risk I would suggest sticking with GOEX.

Some of the Cowboy Action crowd shoots KIK simply because it is cheap.  At the ranges they shoot and at the level of accuracy they require some swear by it.  Mainly on price.

KIK-Kamink in Slovenia is in bankruptcy so how long the KIK will be around is anybody's guess.

E. Ogre

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:34:47 PM »
Thank you sir - that inof is as good as it gets - I'll stick with the Goex.....
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
That gypsy kik failed badly in my shootin 'tests' and was written up in M Blasts! ::)

northmn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:58:44 AM »
Another inexpensive powder that seems to be about as good as any and is under Graffs name.  Some call it Schuetzen powder.  Some like GOEX because it is American made and like to support the economy, others liike the price difference.  Many that like performance and to heck with the cost, use Swiss or Goex Express.   I just odered a combination of Swiss and Graf's as I have heard a lot about Swiss and will try it.  My level of shooting is not what it should be so i will not go broke shooting Swiss in a deer rifle.

DP

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:59:21 AM by northmn »

david50

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:25:53 AM »
about a year ago i bought 5lbs of Kix 3f and recently bought another 10lbs. myself, i dont see any difference between it and Goex,but i'm only useing it for squirrel hunting in my .32 and my .40, but i can say that it has had no affect on the accurasy of either rifle.

California Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »
Have been using KIK in my cap and ball revolver. Bought one can, as it was all that was available at the time. A lot more fowling than Goex, but does seem to be a little hotter. Will stick with Goex.
Recently bought a pound of Scheutzen 2f for my rifle as it was what was available at the time. I wonder how it compares to Goex. Any thoughts.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »
Some often call the Graf's powder Schuetzen powder.  If it is it is very similar to GOEX.  I chronograped several loads a while back and found the differences to be within lot to lot.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »
about a year ago i bought 5lbs of Kix 3f and recently bought another 10lbs. myself, i dont see any difference between it and Goex,but i'm only useing it for squirrel hunting in my .32 and my .40, but i can say that it has had no affect on the accurasy of either rifle.
Just for devilment take a calm day and shoot that kik at 75 and 100 yds that was the distances in my shooti ng test!

david50

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 11:48:19 PM »
Roger i may try that some time just to see what kind of results i get. like i said,i'm just using it in my squirrel rifles and it has'nt affected the accuracy any and i still get six to eight shots before i have to run a clean patch. $#*!,even with my glasses on i cant see a squirrel at 75 yrds ;D

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:45:06 PM »
david50 - when you can get up to 100 shots without having to wipe -  then your load is shooting without building fouling - this we do with GOEX - did with ICI, Meteor, GOX & C&H as well.  With the right patch and lube, no wiping is necessary as there is no fouling buildup in the rifling.  I've never tried Kik or Swiss- maybe some day.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 06:10:48 PM »
My experience has only been with Goex, Elephant and Dupont (still have an unopened can of Dupont 4f).  I've  found all three to be clean shooting especially in 3f.  The nature of bp being what it is, I doubt any will be cleaner.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.