Author Topic: Frizzen- Telling Hardness From Appearance?  (Read 2651 times)

Ray-Vigo

Frizzen- Telling Hardness From Appearance?
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:11:19 AM »
Is there a way from appearance to tell if the frizzen is not hard enough? I have a fowler with a frizzen that I would describe as "OK" sparking, not great, but not not terrible. It does not unduly eat flints, though I don't think it sparks quite as well as my other locks. The flint made what I would describe as somewhat deeper impacts than I have on my other guns. I do realize you get some "impact lines" from the flint, but I'm wondering if you can tell if it's too deep/soft from looking at it.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Frizzen- Telling Hardness From Appearance?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
Hard for me to tell from your two pictures as to the degree of 'ruts" in your frizzen.  I know the two pictures are of the same frizzen - the top picture looks totally chewed up but the bottom picture does not look as bad. If I were to take a GUESS from those two pictures I would say the frizzen is a bit soft. This is only MY guess from your pictures which does not mean much ???
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline retired fella

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:07 PM »
If this has happened over a number of years I suggest that you grind it smooth with a dremel stone and don't worry about it.  Your statement that it is not hard on flints tells me that it couldn't be too soft.  I occasionally polish my frizzens and works well for me.  Sparks like a Zippo lighter

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:28:47 AM »
When a frizzen becomes gouged out, I put them against a 6" grinding wheel and slowly take away the gouges.  Frequent quenching.  Put your thumb on the back of the frizzen...it'll tell you when it wants quenching.  A frizzen will usually take three such 'grinds' before it needs replacing...abut 15000 shots. 
If I may, it is an observation of mine, based purely on supposition, that we shoot our flintlocks much more than original rifles were shot.  Some of us shoot between 50 - 80 rounds every weekend from our favourite rifle.  I'm guessing that 18th C middle class men and women did not.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.