Author Topic: Wally nut hunting carbine  (Read 16872 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Wally nut hunting carbine
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Well, sort of a carbine compared to what I have been building the past few years. I don't have my Shumway vol. 1 handy but this is inspired by an early gun featured there. Believe it or not, this is an Alabama grown piece of wood. It is dense, has great color and some curl. Inlet and carved well as well. Rice 38" .54 barrel. Are they still pulling a carbide ball through these? This one doesn't look like it. Fine barrel though. Chambers Dale Johnson lock with super secret special stuff done to it by L.C. Rice. Buttplate was worried from sheet brass by me. The guard is a casting from a casting of a Reeves casting....... :-\

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Wally nut hunting carbine
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »
Perfect deer hunting rifle Mike.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline One Eye

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »
Beautiful work, and it is perfect for the Pennsylvania woods here.
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
Beautiful.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
Beautiful work, and it is perfect for the Pennsylvania woods here.
One Eye
I suspect it may be used in the Alabama woods most of the time. ;) Not saying something like this wouldn't work in PA..... or anywhere else for that matter. ;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:10:56 PM »
Mike
The rifle is exactly what I hoped it would be. Soon as it gets here (it's on the way) I'll give it a workout at the range and post a report. With it I hope to help lower the deer and hog population in the Patsilagi River swamp. Thanks again for building a great looking rifle. Tim Cosby

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:36:58 PM »
Great looking gun. I like the way the Johnson lock transitions into the wrist.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
Doggone have to put that one up the hill to reload it.  Did you make a holster too?

;D

but then you had me at Wally Nut.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 11:58:11 PM »
Great looking gun. I like the way the Johnson lock transitions into the wrist.
Yep, it's a great lock. With the curve in the plate it makes it real easy to line up the front lock bolt. You'll notice the "non factory" blind screws at the tail of the plate and the unbridled frizzen, nifty features for an early export euro lock. I'd like to see the same lock at about 6" or a bit less.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:59:50 PM »
Doggone have to put that one up the hill to reload it.  Did you make a holster too?

;D

but then you had me at Wally Nut.

HAH! with the sling swivels you could sling it and it won't drag on the ground...unless you're vertically challenged. ;D

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »
Excellent work Mike. An I thought the only thing we could grow here in hotabama was skeeters an cottonmouths. Beautiful gun you'll have there Tim
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 03:29:55 AM »
Thanks Wattlebuster. The walnut was cut in Hale Co not too far from Greensboro. It grew on a hill in some of the poorest soil for growing a tree in Alabama. This meant the tree grew slow and dense. I can't remember the reason it was cut but a friend owned the farm and gave me a couple of boards. Been drying since the mid 1980's. I have one blank left without a barrel inlet in it. One day maybe we'll get another rifle out of the old walnut tree. My friend has passed but I feel sure he would approve of Mike's use of his walnut.
By the way Wade most of the time you would hard pressed to find a hill. Any place higher than where you are standing is called a ridge.😊

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 05:21:54 AM »
I had not seen the changes to the lock until you mentioned it. Great job on that too. What size screw did you use for the frizzen if you used something different than a longer unthreaded shank regular sized screw ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »
I had not seen the changes to the lock until you mentioned it. Great job on that too. What size screw did you use for the frizzen if you used something different than a longer unthreaded shank regular sized screw ?
L.C. Rice did all the work to the lock. All I  did was stick it in the gun.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
Smylee the frizzen screw is a 10-32 timed to tighten and leave room for the frizzen to move freely but not slop from one side to the other. Most bridlelesslocks use a this method although some use a shouldered screw. L C did a great job of assembling a little different looking lock for this project. It helps to be friends with a great lock assembler.☺

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »
That looks like a rifle really wanting to get into the brush and swamps.  And I love that fine, dark walnut.  Maybe not eye candy but looking at it definitely does sweeten the view.  Very handsome rifle and I would love to have it's twin.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline One Eye

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »

I suspect it may be used in the Alabama woods most of the time. ;) Not saying something like this wouldn't work in PA..... or anywhere else for that matter.

Please don't tease me.
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 07:34:20 AM »
Nice looking. I always enjoy your stuff.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 04:50:40 PM »
Hi Mike,

That's a great looking rifle!  Love the finish.  What was your process for filling the grain and finishing?  I'm assuming no stain was used?  I'm working on a wally nut stocked pistol and could use some tips.  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
Nice rifle Mike. Like that butt plate. How thick was the sheet you made it from?        Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

That's a great looking rifle!  Love the finish.  What was your process for filling the grain and finishing?  I'm assuming no stain was used?  I'm working on a wally nut stocked pistol and could use some tips.  Thanks.

-Ron
  Probably 5 coats of Formby's tung oil finish followed by Flat black spray paint removed with steel wool followed by ebony colored Bri Wax.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »
Nice rifle Mike. Like that butt plate. How thick was the sheet you made it from?        Bob
1/16"

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
I love that briwax. I've used it for many years. Hard to find locally.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 04:39:28 AM »
Thanks Mike.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline EC121

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 01:21:14 AM »
We took the rifle for its first shot ceremony today.  It shot really well once sqrldog installed the back sight the way it should have been from the git-go.  Fast ignition, great trigger, weighs 7.5lbs.(my 13/16" .40cal. weighs more), and accurate once we sighted it in.  It looks nicer in person.  This is my last shot from the bench on a center fire sighting in target at 50yds.    We quit on that center shot.  A bit more practice for Tim, and it is ready for deer season.

Brice Stultz