Author Topic: Pedersoli flintlock .50  (Read 10127 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Pedersoli flintlock .50
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »
I recently picked up a mint, unfired (despite being dated 2006) Pedersoli flintlock in .50 caliber.   I think it's the Pennsylvania model, though it doesn't have a patchbox (it does have a brass nosecap, so it's not the Blue Ridge or "poor boy" design).  Barrel is about 36-37".  The lock sparks like a champ, and the double-trigger is very nice.

I am fairly impressed with it, overall.   I have a lot of .490" Hornady ball, but should I order some .495" ball?  I was going to use .490 with .015 patches.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Incidentally, I also recently sold a mint, unfired Traditions Pennsylvania (.50) percussion, which more than paid for the Pedersoli.   It's a beautiful rifle, with the various brass inlays and patchbox, but I could never find a comfortable way to shoulder the rifle.  The comb felt too high, forcing me to put my cheek further back just to get the sights aligned.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Pedersoli flintlock .50
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:20:47 AM »
You have assessed Tradition's longrifle gently. to say the least.  For some reason, modern factory rifles all use a design that does not have enough drop at the comb and heel.  It may be simply cheaper to use a narrow board than one that is deeper.  In addition, most companies depart from traditional construction, attaching parts with silly methods.  Again, it is to be able to turn out a rifle that requires very little handwork, IOW, time, IOW, $.  These rifles sell new and finished for less than a set of parts to make a decent one.  You get what you pay for.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:02:31 AM »
Good luck with it Bones. You have a good working rifle that is not usually well received by custom builders.

You'll have to shoot I to find out what it likes either a 490 or 495 ball. But it will tell you what it wants, what it likes and what it loves, not the other way around. 

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:09:26 AM »
I recognize that Pedersoli rifles still do not garner much liking among custom gun builders, but as far as ready-made rifles go, they seem to have a good reputation.

Mainly, I wanted to get rid of the Traditions Penn percussion rifle, which was nice to look at, but that's about where the utility ended for me.  To get a Pedersoli flintlock in return was, in truth, an obvious choice.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:46:56 AM »
I recognize that Pedersoli rifles still do not garner much liking among custom gun builders, but as far as ready-made rifles go, they seem to have a good reputation.

Mainly, I wanted to get rid of the Traditions Penn percussion rifle, which was nice to look at, but that's about where the utility ended for me.  To get a Pedersoli flintlock in return was, in truth, an obvious choice.

That's the thing, that they are "Ready Made Rifles" of such general design and execution as to be only vaguely similar to real guns from the past.  (and as such aren't really proper fodder for the ALR forum as we may be reminded any minute.)

Cannot say I've ever touched one, but did own and shoot mass-made guns in the past.  Better those than nothing at all.  Sort of blew my mind how much they cost relative to moderns-for years, but now of course as Taylor says, my pieces and parts cost more and I don't care.  ;)

Enjoy
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
Not sure if the breech design for your rifle follows the "Blue Ridge Hunter", which is an Italian copy of the Hatfield rifle, which was an American copy of the "Blue Ridge Hunter". ::) ;D ;D

You can tell by running a range rod with a cleaning jag, (but no patch) down the barrel and marking the rod with a piece of tape. Then, lay the ramrod along the left side the barrel, and see if the jag stops at the vent location or sits a couple of inches above the vent (rifle vertical).

If the jag on the ramrod sits adjacent to the vent, your worries are over.

If the jag sits about 2" higher, you have an "Uh Oh" rifle breech design. Pedersoli, on the B.R.H., utilized a breech plug with lonnnnng threads, about an inch or more into the barrel. The vent liner is threaded into both the barrel & the breech plug threads. The breechplug is bored out to about the dimensions of a .22 caliber brush, which, if that is the case, you will want to have one to clear the fouling out of the antechamber when it stops functioning.

If you ever have to remove the breech plug, you would want to remove the vent liner first. Otherwise, you will shear the vent liner in half (lengthwise). Don't ask me how I know that.

All the best on having the right breech design. it can be exasperating if you have the "Uh Oh" design.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
Regardless and getting back to shooting, you should order both sized balls  and start experimenting with different ball sizes, patch thickness and powder charge combinations. And as Phil Cravener, God bless his soul,  always use to say, 'You have a lot of work ahead of you."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:14:38 PM by crawdad »

Offline bones92

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
Crawdad, that's the fun of it!  I should probably start keeping a log book of what load combinations work best in each muzzleloader.  I find that I have been a bit overzealous in acquiring them over the past couple years, and I can see myself losing track of what shoots best in which.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
I couldn't agree more Bones!!  Frustrating at times as I find that the Pedersoli barrels I've and my friends have  had over the years are really finicky about the loads they like but the journey is the adventure.

Offline bones92

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
I wonder why that is... they have a 1-48" twist, which is supposed to be a very good all-around twist for PRB, or so I've read.

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
I wonder why that is... they have a 1-48" twist, which is supposed to be a very good all-around twist for PRB, or so I've read.

my Pedersoli Frontier flinter must be in that category as I have around 60 shots through it and haven't really found a suitable load combination for it yet. It seems to be very reliable as far as ignition goes tho however.      Greg

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 03:11:12 AM »
Your P.I.T.A. metallurgist again.

Pedersoli uses, or so they say, medium carbon, low sulphur, heat treated steel for their rifle barrels. This steel is far superior in strength and toughness to - I'm not supposed to discuss this.

I had a nice .45 Pedersoli long flint rifle. Did make a new rr for it, having put the original through my palm. Also cut the patchbox recess a bit deeper. You have a nice blank slate there, on there which you can have fun modifying the style to suit you. I sold mine because of a troublesome left shoulder.

yardhunter

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:23:30 AM »
I've had a 50 caliber Pedersoli for 23 months now & have put at least 3500 balls ( .490 -- using muslin material for a patch ) thru the gun without any problems I didn't cause myself.

It's been dream gun for production gun.
You'll enjoy shooting that gun.

In fact…here's a cleaning video of the very gun I'm talking about in action:

I'd buy another one in heartbeat……….
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:27:11 AM by yardhunter »

ricktull

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
I've had several Pedersoli frontiers and never had any kind of problem with them. I don't know about your model, but I think it will probably be a great gun once you find a good load

CoSnipe

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:20 AM »
I have a blue ridge as a elk backup. It's a .50 flintlock 1-48",it likes and shoots the hornady Great Plains bullet a lot more than prb. Funny story about that rifle,I saw it at cabelas for about 6 months.It had a beautiful walnut stock for a factory gun.Every time I picked that rifle up it had more dents and scratches in it from people handling it. They don't keep it behind the counter but on top of an isle rack. I figured it ask if I could get it at a reduced price since it was dented and dinged or I'd leave it. After some haggling and 30 minutes later the managers manager said he'd sell it at discount price,$480. Sold. Beats up flints but it's a true 1.5" rifle at 100 yards 85 gr goex 3f and Great Plains 385 gr bullet. It shoots round balls in the 5" at 100 yard range.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:13:10 AM by CoSnipe »