Author Topic: Stoffel Long rifle  (Read 10308 times)

Offline nord

Stoffel Long rifle
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 09:38:59 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Stoffel Long rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »
Beautiful  Stoffel Long rifle ! I don't know if it is signed or not. It doesn't have to be his signature is all over with his work . His engraving is always very deep . Congratulations!

Don't know why this is not on the antique side.   JIM

JIM

Dakota60

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:16:28 AM »
No, this is not signed.  The rifle was purchased by me.  Christoffel Long is my great, great, great, great grandfather on my mothers side.  Fred Garner offered to post the pictures for me.  The rifle dates to around 1820.  I also don't know why it was not posted with the antiques.  If you have any further questions on the rifle, please contact me.  I check this site often hoping someone will post something I don't know about the Stoffel Long rifles.  I just found out about a year ago about my relationship with him and have been doing research into the family since.  I purchased the rifle shortly after Dixon's Muzzleloader Faire.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:59:59 AM »
Love stoeffle Long rifles.

Dakota60

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:11 AM »
I think they are pretty cool too!  I'm proud to be able to bring one of his rifles back to the family.  I don't want to be picky but I have seen the name misspelled so many times.  The name of the rifle is based on his name - Christoffel.  I have done plenty of family research on him to know.  For the future, please refer to the rifle as the Stoffel Long rifle.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:39:09 AM by Dakota60 »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:50:45 AM »
Was this the rifle for sale on revwararms.com?
Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:14:21 AM »
[quote author=Buck

Was this the rifle for sale on revwararms.com?
Buck
  Noel , That was a different one . It was incised carved . I believe there was a Liberty Head  in front of the trigger guard . The old man has the one I used to own. He won't turn lose of it.
JIM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:16:00 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:47:24 AM »
Buck,
On a side note the  one I had was a  reconversion . It is pictured in  Capt. Dillin's  book as flint. His book was published in 1922 or 23. It was from the Locke collection.  They've been screwing with these things sense day one.
JIM

Dakota60

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
The rifle pictured is not for sale.  I purchased it just recently and bought it so I could bring it back into the family and because I appreciate the craftsmanship that my great X4 grandfather put into it.

Offline KC

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
That's an awesome rifle, it's nice that you could bring it back into the family. It's in fantastic shape considering the age, looks like it's ready to go hunting.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
I can't for the life of me figure out how you all determine the difference between a Jacob George and a Stoffel Long on an unsigned rifle.  That is a beautiful rifle....I like that all of the inlays are matching brass.   

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
I can't for the life of me figure out how you all determine the difference between a Jacob George and a Stoffel Long on an unsigned rifle.  That is a beautiful rifle....I like that all of the inlays are matching brass.   

Yes, please share that?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Dakota60

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 02:20:18 AM »
Not being a gunsmith myself or someone that even collects guns as most on this site do I will try and explain it as I understand it.  The etching on the patch box is an indication that it is a Stoffel Long rifle as is the shape of the brass plate on the opposite side of the flintlock.  He generally would make the one end of the brass plate more pointed.   The design on the patch box incorporates the "S" for Stoffel.  The rifle that I purchased, the one pictured, included an additional brass plate with this same "S" design.

I also have the understanding that there are some designs that are similar to a George rifle or of other gunsmiths from the Allemeangel School.  Hope I spelled that right.  I'm still learning myself about the area and my ancestor.

I hope that helped.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 02:57:43 PM »
jdm,
The old man hasn't brought that one around, at least since I have been going to Princeton. The one Vandenburg had was a nice piece, Dakota 60 congratulations.
Buck