Author Topic: Main Spring Vise  (Read 8624 times)

ddoyle

Main Spring Vise
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:28:35 AM »

I'll admit that I have been using a small bench vise to remove springs. Decided it is time to purchase a proper mainspring vise.

Recently I found a website (likely a member here) who was offering a nice looking tool that was able to handle small to xl springs.   Had a smart look to it. 

Of course now I cannot figure out who/where it was?  I am hoping to find the site again as I would like to only buy once ;) At the same time any suggestions as to what vise a guy should buy?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Main Spring Vise
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:48:37 AM »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:57:10 AM »
That is the one, big thanks.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
I think Jim Chambers is going to handle the actual manufacturing of this mainspring vise. At least that is what Tom told me at the CLA. Jim let me pay for one and promised to send it as soon as the were in production. Of course it may still be available directly from Tom. Tim

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
I like that a LOT. Thanks for posting, Ron.
I'll be getting in touch with the Chambers' to see if production is imminent.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
Jim was taking orders at the CLA show.  Don't know when they will be delivered.
Brice Stultz

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
Recieved my spring vise in the mail from Chambers today.  Tim

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »
Talked to Jim this morning and arranged to have one sent. 

Offline retired fella

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:04 PM »
I don't want to step on anyone's thread but why is a spring vise necessary?  For years I have been using vise grips.  Put on full cock, apply vise grip, release hammer and remove spring.  Replacing, reverse procedure.

ddoyle

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
Cause my big vise grips are holding my trolling motor on,  and my small ones are rusted solid serving as a tent stove handle  :D  I guess though ultimately it comes down to the same reason we all don't just own one 30-06, a K-car and live in single wides with a car port (FYI I wish I owned a K-car wagon and a trailer). Sometimes it is just nice to own something well made and functional and to enjoy using it.

My little german bench vise with fine threads was working and probabley I could have lived life with out this indulgence but never having bought a coffee at starbucks, a beer, a cell phone, or a new pair of anything in an awful long time has left me a token amount of play money. ;)

Plus if we do not buy this stuff  once in a while these guys wont be able to stay in thier shops to make something else.

Hey Tom, When you start turning out hammer pulls/sets I'll take one of each.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:17:57 AM by ddoyle »

Offline retired fella

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »
Well said ddoyle.  I thought that I might have been doing something wrong
                                      :D

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »
Used vise grips also mostly on small locks Silers etc. Chambers warns against using them on the big locks and doesn't warranty main springs broken using pliers vise grips etc so I use what he recommends a tool designed to do the job. Not that you can't get by with another method. Besides I think this mainspring vise is very versatile and unique and Tom went to a lot of effort to design it. It'll come in handy in my shop not mention I can now leave the vise grips on the faucet outside my shop. Tim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
Used vise grips also mostly on small locks Silers etc. Chambers warns against using them on the big locks and doesn't warranty main springs broken using pliers vise grips etc so I use what he recommends a tool designed to do the job. Not that you can't get by with another method. Besides I think this mainspring vise is very versatile and unique and Tom went to a lot of effort to design it. It'll come in handy in my shop not mention I can now leave the vise grips on the faucet outside my shop. Tim

Like Jim Chambers,I will not replace for free any mainspting that shows evidence of vise grips.
To remove a mainspring without a regular mainspring vise I bring the lock to full cock and lightly
clamp it with a small "C" clamp,lower the hammer and remove the spring.
Recently I had a request to send out replacement springs for 4 locks of mine,all recently
made that the owner said had failed.I told him to send the locks AND the broken springs and
he refused to do it. I smell a RAT there'

Bob Roller

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 12:12:37 AM »
I have broken a few springs with vise grips, and that is why I have four pair of spring vise's. I usually have a couple of different builds going on at the same time so that is why the need of multiple vice's.

I have never broken a spring using a vice, but some folks must be easier handed than I am if they can do it with vice grips. ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:34:42 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

ddoyle

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 05:50:10 AM »

Got this vies in my hand and wanted to follow up.

Worth every nickel of the price.  Very impressive.

The thing that impressed me right off the bat was the fact that all three tapped holes deliver the tip of the screw to the exact centre of the opposite arm (it is  a long way across there). What are the chances of buying anything for the price with three holes drilled and tapped true?

Other thing that is really nice is the big knurled knob on the screw, you really can feel exactly what you are doing and do not need to go any further with it then required.

The tip on the screw makes it impossible to marr anything as does the overall finish. I  removed and re installed a large siler spring with it and it cracked a grin on my other wise scowly mug.

Everyone should buy one of these to encourage the production of more quality lock tools. Order #1 for a hammer pull of similar quality.