Author Topic: German silver vs. coin silver  (Read 3709 times)

Offline frogwalking

German silver vs. coin silver
« on: September 01, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
It is time to do something about a cheekpiece inlay on the .32 Lancaster project.  The early York kit built a few years ago had a German silver inlay nailed in place.  I had to make final surface height adjustments with the inlay in place, using files and sandpaper.  The dust from this process got imbedded into the wood pores and turned black.  Even after final finish, some of the darkened wood was still visible.  If I use coin silver instead, will this issue still exist?  What do you suggest?

Thanks.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: German silver vs. coin silver
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
If it turned black, it probably wasn't German silver. Sterling, and coin silver, oxidizes and turns black, German, or nickel, silver does not, unless you got some kind of chemical reaction from whatever you used on the wood.

Hungry Horse

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
I use sterling silver for the cheek star and never had an issue w/  debris  produced when filing and sanding the  star.  It just seems to disappear in the finishing process. The same holds true w/ the Pbox or any other inlay. Below is a sterling silver cheek star and as one can see, there are no darker areas surrounding the star. I prefer to use a small screw to secure the star....it can then be engraved out of the stock. Haven't had any debris problems w/ German silver either.....Fred

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:15:12 PM by flehto »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
The dust from this process got imbedded into the wood pores and turned black.  Even after final finish, some of the darkened wood was still visible.
Also, you obviously didn't flush that debris out of the wood with a spray can of carburetor cleaner, which would have removed it all.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 05:39:25 AM »

Cleanwoode works, too, but it suddenly got pricey.

Maybe the electronic contact cleaner spray is similar to carb cleaner.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
Thanks folks.  I should have thought of carb cleaner.  I have a can of brake cleaner in the shop.  Is that similar enough to work? 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:42:32 PM »
Brake cleaner will work, but it takes a bit more and is not as aggressive.  However, they both dry and leave no residue behind.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson